Rate my reef aquascape.

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.

Just finished moving around my live rock to finish my latest aquascape.

Went for a more minimal design with the rock I had. There are still some areas i want to work on and i welcome your advice.

Let me know what you think.

DSC_6201_edited-1.jpg
DSC_6203_edited-1.jpg
DSC_6204_edited-1.jpg
DSC_6205_edited-1.jpg
DSC_6207_edited-1.jpg
DSC_6213_edited-1.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty sweet. I don't normally like rock touching the sides or back, but looks good here and it's not on the back all that much.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys.

Its always hard to self-evaluate your reef but if you all say its good then it must be ok. :)

Funny really, when i started, i wanted it to all fit together and look like one piece of rock, towards the end i was trying to make gaps and caves and overhangs and obviously its paid off.

kendavjac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish mine looked that good. Hard to tell from pictures, do you still have enough room to run a magnetic glass cleaner between the glass/rocks?

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a natural looking stack of rocks. As long as you can clean around it, I'd leave it like it is.

OP
OP
Fisherman Joe

Fisherman Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can clean around all sides and about the top third of the back.

Have to get the wife to use her skinny arms round the back though. I can do it because of all my muscles.... Ofc :)

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. I really like it. Might use it for inspiration when I do my new setup. I like the horse shoe shapes. I like the diversity of rock you have the the placement. Also like the shelf/cave on the middle of the horse shoe. Great job!

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking very nice. Just have a question about how is the flow in the center area of the tank as the rock wall around is blocking all the strong flow right?. I can't see all the power heads or your pumps or how the water circulates. You might have flow everywhere but I don't see that in the pictures :)

JLynn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it in general, but I think you would get a more... focused look if you took some rock off the top of the left side.

You know how in those freshwater Iwagumi tanks, all the rocks point more or less in one direction? That unifies the 'scape. I think that that's missing in your current scape. You have the tallest parts at the back, which is good, but the height is more or less even in the back, which distracts the eyes from finding the focal point.

If you just took out this piece of rock (moving the coral elsewhere, of course):
18784618848_6f295c13bc_z.jpg

... I think that would be pretty much perfect.

So it looks pretty dang good now, but if you don't mind going to the trouble of taking some heigh off the left side (leaving that interesting rockwork in the right corner as the focal point), I think that that would definitely improve the 'scape.

Last edited:

hig789

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know that I would call that minimalistic haha. But I really like it. I like the shape how it can shelter the lower flow corals but still get plenty of light. I especially like the overhang where the frogspawn is.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup its not really minimalistic but it looks really nice.
Believe it'll offer a lot of coral space, has a lot of hiding areas for the fish and still offers some swimming space...
Would have left it a bit more open from the sides if you have side viewing, if not it's fine.
Eventually any scape will disappear under corals so it's important that it allows for coral positioning and doesn't look too symmetrical or artificial, your scape passes all of the above :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back