(re)- Introducing the Supernova's!

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I now have these three zoa's, and seeing them side by side I can't help but notice a few similarities-

-they've all been "passed off" as hornets (which they're not, none have alternating skirts)
-they all have a clean thin band surrounding the mouth
-solid color disc
-tips of the skirts are colored identical to the band

Now the black and the red (see bellow for pics) share similar polyp size, while the blue is a bigger guy, for now I'm considering the blue the black sheep of the family as he lacks the pale blue/white mouth that the black and the red also share. Might end up kicking him out of the category entirely but for now bringing him in. Edit: Blue got kicked out of the 'type' already. I believe the red and black are west pacific origin, and have heard several reliable comments that the blue are Caribbean/Atlantic so also makes 'sense'.
I'm just doing this for fun, I'm not adverting these for sale, just thinking that these could use a new life with a name all to their own instead of being lumped under the "fake" hornet banner, so this is entirely just for fun, but please share your thoughts on these, or on any others you know of that could fit this "grouping" based on the description I provided (or what else we'd need to have that be an accurate family description.)

%<-GPS
Black Supernova (known currently as Black Hornet)
03231127.jpg

03231136.jpg

Red Supernova (known currently as 2nd Gen Red Hornets, and some other names I can't recall)
030911039.jpg

Blue Supernova -removed as they failed the 'type'.

Last edited:
OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46 views and noone has a thought? Cmon- tell me I'm being silly or that it's just not needed, I'm fine either way- just a thought I had and figured i'd put it up. I assure you this isn't a hype thread, heck, I only have 4 polyps of the "red supernova's" and they're such slow growers for me, I won't have any for awhile!

So cmon- drop your comments/criticisms for good or bad!

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are spot on in your analysis. People think that nit picking over what makes a hornet a hornet is silly, but it is the alternating skirt which is a rare variation that needs mentioning. They are sweet nonetheless!!

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the first two appear to be pretty close, and I could see the advantage to going that direction. The African Blue Steels don't appear the same to me, nor do I think you are ever going to get those renamed anyway. Too many people recognize them as "Blue Steels". I don't think I've seen them mentioned hardly at all as 2nd generation blue hornets.

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right Randy- looking at them side by side the blue steel don't really fit the bill, so im going to take them off. I suppose I just felt a "family" with only two members was a little weak.

Thanks for input guys! I think they're very nice zoas, but as we've actually got three zoas that fit the hornet 'type' very accurately, I figure why not try and get some more 'types' out there to organize the zoas a little better

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these would be black supernovas? And not yellow supernovas to go with the red supernovas?

43b1f37b-1f34-0d3b.jpg

you're right- they should be Yellow's based upon the way I'm naming. Suppose it's just rare to find truly 'black' stuff, so I got tempted to keep that recognition of their color. Also I was originally thinking the Blue Steels might fit the 'type', which are named for disc color and also have the yellow tips. Since the blue's failed out, whole different ball-game now.

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol! if I was a sneaker guy I'd agree with ya- but I'm not so I'm sticking with mine :sure: but your name is just as valid, so run with it if ya like!

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
uh oh...I think this could be worse than the lineage arguments if we start naming things after sports teams. I could see myself owning all the football zoa's except the black and silvers.... :tongue:

SeeingGreen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be right to call them Steelers. They are much better than the ones I have seen sold as Green Bay Packers... and I just think I wouldn't be able to stand the steelers being better ;) On the plus side you could end up with 32 types , 2 "jersys", plus the odd throwback that you only release once per year. Well, except this year because you are refusing to show them your reefkeeping budget vs. sales dollars.

OP
OP
drainbamage

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it would be right to call them Steelers. They are much better than the ones I have seen sold as Green Bay Packers... and I just think I wouldn't be able to stand the steelers being better ;) On the plus side you could end up with 32 types , 2 "jersys", plus the odd throwback that you only release once per year. Well, except this year because you are refusing to show them your reefkeeping budget vs. sales dollars.

LOL! If my zoa's ever form a union to demand rights before fragging I'm getting out of the hobby and checking into a facility...

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about their names, but they sure are nice looking polyps!

CJ

Back