Really stupid question

Wildreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you all disenfect your hands to prevent parasite cross contamination?

For example, I clean my quarantine tank actively treating fish with copper etc, I’m done, and now want to feed my display?

I have just been washing my hands with soap and water and dry for a few minutes...but if they need 24 to dry out like a net would, whats the next best thing?

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately, most aquatic pathogens aren’t zoonotic and normal hand washing followed by drying will prevent cross contamination. There are of course more failsafe ways of scrubbing or sterilizing your hands but it’s unlikely necessary unless you plan to dip your hands in two tanks within minutes, even then the risk of cross contamination is low - depending on the state of the tanks. A hand sanitizer will do if you want to be extra cautious.

You can also wear single use latex gloves if concerned.

lagatbezan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Always try to work/feed my main tank first and then work on the qt. this way there is zero chance of any cross contamination. If I have to get in the display after working on the qt, I use hand sanitizer, wait about an hour, wash my hands with soap and then wear gloves. yes, I'm really paranoid lol.

Back