reappearance of Ich during Copper treatment?

lapoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had all of my fish in QT since Jan 30th. using Cupramine I brought the levels up to what appeared to be .50 using API test kit. Ended up losing around 5 fish which I think was due to velvet not ICH.

Since then I was doing water changes and bought a Hanna tested for copper. Upon testing my Copper level was actually .30 based off of the Hannah checker. Within ten days of starting the fish that survived had no signs of ICH whatsoever, but this morning I noticed the Tomini tang has white specks again. Eating very well just has the spots. Is this due to being below the .5 level or just that ICH takes longer than 30 days to not reappear.

Not sure if I should raise the level to .50 and then continue to treat for 46 more days or start the 76 days over again once hitting .50

OP
OP
L

lapoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO&E; you need to treat at 0.5ppm w/Cupramine to get all the free swimmers.
One of the fish I lost was my Emperor angel and a Pink square Anthias, I am thinking they had bacterial infections as well which I had no way of treating in time before I lost them. I also bought some copper power as after I started reading about QT some advise it is easier on the fish. Eventually I want to replace those two fish and will use Copper power the next time I do this.

Would you recommend I start my QT time frame over once I hit .5ppm or will 46 days be sufficient?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the fish I lost was my Emperor angel and a Pink square Anthias, I am thinking they had bacterial infections as well which I had no way of treating in time before I lost them. I also bought some copper power as after I started reading about QT some advise it is easier on the fish. Eventually I want to replace those two fish and will use Copper power the next time I do this.

Would you recommend I start my QT time frame over once I hit .5ppm or will 46 days be sufficient?

I would start the clock once you hit the 0.5ppm therapeutic levels.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with restarting the clock once you hit 0.5 w/Cupramine.

I also agree that Copper Power + Hanna Checker is usually the better option. I personally treat @ 1.75ppm using Copper Power; therapeutic range for that product is 1.5-2.0 ppm.

OP
OP
L

lapoza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use a copper removing compound and then re dose with copper power? Having .30 cupramine and then dosing copper power will give me an in accurate reading of the copper level in the tank. I’m currently QT the fish in a 240 gallon tank so a complete water change is not feasible

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I use a copper removing compound and then re dose with copper power? Having .30 cupramine and then dosing copper power will give me an in accurate reading of the copper level in the tank. I’m currently QT the fish in a 240 gallon tank so a complete water change is not feasible

I would just raise Cupramine to 0.5 ppm this time. Next time around maybe consider switching to Copper Power.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just catching up in this. Cupramine and the API test kit is likely the issue here. That test kit is very hard to read even at higher levels with chelated copper. Cupramine would be easier to monitor with either the seachem test kit or the salifert if you want to use a visual method.

The Hanna checker dies work with both ionic and chelated copper.

I use the same as @Humblefish recommended above.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back