• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Recent Diver's Den Live Aquaria Experience - Spreading bad info

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to share my latest experience with Diver's Den from Live Aquaria. This is my 3rd or 4th time ordering from them. I've ordered usually a couple fish at a time. I do quarantine fish (learned the hard way when I started about 5 years ago). I like ordering from Diver's Den because of the extra level of supposed quarantine. In my experience thus far--until this shipment--the fish have been excellent specimens. They appear healthy and well-adjusted to aquarium life--most if not all, ate from the first day and do not hide.

I received the last shipment this past week which included a powder brown and a purple firefish. The powder brown came out of the bag with ich--about 5 or 6 well formed white spots on its body. When put into my quarantine tank, it was visibly uncomfortable, incessantly swimming quickly back and forth with rapid respiration. I called Live Aquaria and was told "all fish have ich in their systems and the stress of shipping most likely brought it out." Which, as most of us know, is complete and totally wrong. I was also told that I should treat it and they only offer compensation if it dies.

It's a little disturbing that Diver's Den has told their reps to spread the above information about ich being in all fish's systems as it helps to propagate that fallacy. And clearly, you may want to think twice if you're, like I was, under the impression that Diver's Den fish are worth the extra money due to their quarantine procedures.

OP
OP
Gsxrfl1k6

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ordered from Diver's Den, but I do agree with them that every supplier has Ich in their systems. Which, since the fish have been in those systems, means they have it in them, too. All it takes is getting one fish into a system that cannot be treated with copper and that system will have it unless they go without adding new fish for 2+ months. No large suppliers can do that and stay in business.

Specifically for Divers Den, here is their QT protocol.
https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

I do wish they would explain this better.
"In addition to the baths, all quarantined fish are treated with copper sulfate and a 37% formaldehyde solution to combat Amyloodinium ocellatum and Cryptocaryon irritans."

I can't be sure, but this also sounds like a bath to me. Without knowing the amount of time treated and copper levels, it is impossible to say how effective this is. I am confident that their goal is not ich eradication, but rather "combating" it to knock back the symptoms before transfer to their main holding system.

You're absolutely right about suppliers having ich in their systems. It would be financial suicide to prevent that from happening. But, the problem I have is that they're telling people that "all FISH have ich" and stress brings it out. Yes, if a fish is carrying ich with no symptoms, stress can reduce immune response and allow it to outwardly manifest. However, ALL fish do not have ich by default and it sucks that Live Aquaria is instructing their reps to tell everyone this. Although, I guess it's probably accurate that all THEIR fish have ich.

The description of their quarantine procedures is unclear, but the way they present it, it seems possible they're trying to say their fish are fully quarantined. They do come from their "state of the art facility" in Wisconsin, blah, blah....

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a friendly reminder that only Vendor and Buyer post allowed in feedback to facilitate resolution.

Thanks all. :)

OP
OP
Gsxrfl1k6

Gsxrfl1k6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a friendly reminder that only Vendor and Buyer post allowed in feedback to facilitate resolution.

Sorry if I posted in the wrong section or spurred unauthorized discussion. I don't know that I was looking for any resolution, just wanted to share my experience and maybe shed some light on Diver's Den if anyone was looking. I know I was early on...

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

^^^^^
All post not posted by buyer or vendor will be removed by moderation.

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back