Recommended CUC for my Refugium to assist with Hair Algae Growth

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for CUC recommendations for my refugium to help with some hair algae. It is a 30gal refugium with no rock, mud or sand. I restarted my refugium a few weeks ago. Chaeto growing nicely. Would Urchins work. Never had any and not sure if they crawl on pvc sidewalls.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nerite Snail
nerite.png
Nerites are useful algae feeders that will readily consume diatoms, cynobacteria and some species of hair algae. The only downside is that they are sub tidal snails that live out of the water between tides. Refugiums and aquariums should be fitted with a rim or lid to prevent escape. They can survive for days in a dry habitat as they store water in their shells, so they can be safely added back if they happen to crawl out. Overall they are very hardy snails and can easily right themselves if they fall over. Sizes vary from medium to large ranging from 1/2" to 3'4". This snail is sold in lots of 10.
Use the drop down menu below to add multiple items to the same bag to save on shipping costs.
Green Hair Algae or "GHA"
is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Nerite Snail
nerite.png
Nerites are useful algae feeders that will readily consume diatoms, cynobacteria and some species of hair algae. The only downside is that they are sub tidal snails that live out of the water between tides. Refugiums and aquariums should be fitted with a rim or lid to prevent escape. They can survive for days in a dry habitat as they store water in their shells, so they can be safely added back if they happen to crawl out. Overall they are very hardy snails and can easily right themselves if they fall over. Sizes vary from medium to large ranging from 1/2" to 3'4". This snail is sold in lots of 10.
Use the drop down menu below to add multiple items to the same bag to save on shipping costs.
Green Hair Algae or "GHA"
is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.
Funny you post from Reef Cleaners web page. I have over 240 snails in my main display from them and about 80-100 from my LFS purchased 2.5yrs ago. I have never had the slightest hint of hair algae in my tank. I did take a few Nerites from my tank and put them in the fuge but they seem only interested in the little bit of film algae on the bottom of the fuge and the acrylic widow in the front. At first they were on the sidewalls doing their job but once the algae got hairy, about 1/2" long, they retreated to the bottom of the fuge. Crabs will not work because they can't climb the PVC walls.

hexcolor reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny you post from Reef Cleaners web page. I have over 240 snails in my main display from them and about 80-100 from my LFS purchased 2.5yrs ago. I have never had the slightest hint of hair algae in my tank. I did take a few Nerites from my tank and put them in the fuge but they seem only interested in the little bit of film algae on the bottom of the fuge and the acrylic widow in the front. At first they were on the sidewalls doing their job but once the algae got hairy, about 1/2" long, they retreated to the bottom of the fuge. Crabs will not work because they can't climb the PVC walls.
Red leg hermit crabs will climb PVC walls, I have a refuge in back of my AIO system that I built with PVC and no matter how many times I tried to keep those crabs in my main display tank, I always found them over the wall and in the refugium

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I didn't think a crab could climb a smooth wall but then again with algae on the walls it's no longer smooth.

OP
OP
Steve2020

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emerald crab, mexican turbo snail
Turbo's sound like a good idea for the fuge. Think I will pick up a few. I don't have any in my display. I always shied away from them due to I heard they easily can knock over corals. No corals in the fuge.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back