Red algae ID is it good or bad?

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have had this in my tank for along time but in small quantities and don't know what algae it is, it seems to be growing slowly but not invasivly at the moment. I do like the look of it though as it adds colour and it's free. I Thought I'd check if it's good or bad before I start a clean up of it (or leave it). The hermits and snails don't touch it. Any advice I would be grateful thanks.
The tank is 18 months old but the rock I have had in a previous tank for 9 years but I didn't have it growing in there from what I remember as I scrubbed all the rocks before I put it in the new tank, I took no notice of what was on there.
DSC_4975.JPG
DSC_4973.JPG
DSC_4974.JPG

S.O.MLemos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had some of that stuff come with some zoa frags but my turbo snails always munch it away so I’ve never worried. Don’t know what it is though, looks a lot like a red macro algae(like a purple fauchea macro)

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried xenia once, never again. And no its not growing like that. I just wish my euphilia would grow like xenia does, I'd be rich with all the dragging I'd have to do with xenia u can't give that away.:)

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried xenia once, never again. And no its not growing like that. I just wish my euphilia would grow like xenia does, I'd be rich with all the dragging I'd have to do with xenia u can't give that away.:)
I'm with you there, it grows like weed. I believe it would grow in british canals. :D
Got some once when I started reefing, never again.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same species as the ever popular "dragons breath" macro. IMO, only a problem if you don't like it. I personally think it looks great in the display. Also, very easy to keep under wraps and you could even sell the excess.

OP
OP
Nicholas Dushynsky

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit I do like the look of it, plus it's only growing in between corals and that saves me money trying to fill them with new corals. If it is a good species and I sold any excess, what I've got in my tank would just dissappear or get eaten. So I think I might hang on to it as long as I can and just enjoy it. Unless I grow loads that is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 39 50.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.4%
Back