Red algae? What kind? Help?

tenorboyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef this is my first post me and my roommate have 2 clownfish 1 lawnmower blenny 1 chocolate chip sea star 2 red leg hermit crabs and 2 turbo snails
Can anyone identify this algae in our tank? Is it cyanobacteria? I can't find any pictures of it online where it looks this long, it's been growing crazy fast after me and my roommate added a bunch of new water because we had our friend feed the tank over spring break and a lot of water evaporated, which some of the animals didn't seem to enjoy because of rapid salinity change etc. We also added some "microbe-lift artemiss", does anyone know if that could be related?

The water conditions according to aqueon test strips are:
pH = 7.8
total alkalinity = 0 (???)
hardness = 500 (also ???)
nitrate = 10
nitrite= 0

IMG_4904.jpg
IMG_4906.jpg
IMG_4905.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef2reef this is my first post me and my roommate have 2 clownfish 1 lawnmower blenny 1 chocolate chip sea star 2 red leg hermit crabs and 2 turbo snails
Can anyone identify this algae in our tank? Is it cyanobacteria? I can't find any pictures of it online where it looks this long, it's been growing crazy fast after me and my roommate added a bunch of new water because we had our friend feed the tank over spring break and a lot of water evaporated, which some of the animals didn't seem to enjoy because of rapid salinity change etc. We also added some "microbe-lift artemiss", does anyone know if that could be related?

The water conditions according to aqueon test strips are:
pH = 7.8
total alkalinity = 0 (???)
hardness = 500 (also ???)
nitrate = 10
nitrite= 0

IMG_4904.jpg
IMG_4906.jpg
IMG_4905.jpg
Cyanobacteria.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano. Test strips are useless and if you don't know your complete parameters you are destined for tank failure. Get a decent test kit or have your LFS test for you

OP
OP
tenorboyd

tenorboyd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano. Test strips are useless and if you don't know your complete parameters you are destined for tank failure. Get a decent test kit or have your LFS test for you
thanks, is there a decent test kit you recommend?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back