Red Planaria removal- the easy and cheap way...

The Todd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I read thru a multi year thread on R2R about planaria.

I saw at least one post talk about H2O2= Hydrogen peroxide. Hydrogen Peroxide to the public is very dilute, yet still a great oxidizer- stain remover, whitens things, teeth, etc.
Another talked about that Phosphate killer also helping.

I figured, why not try something b/c the Chaetomorphia in my sump was being overridden by them! Both my 180 system, and my 40 system.
That 'Fletworm Exit' is actually kinda exspensive when doing larger quantities. When I used it in the past, you could see them floating off, etc.

I read about fish that keep them in check in the DT, and I think my six line wrasse is doing that! But he's not in the sump.

I bought a 32oz H2O2 from Pic and Save- Kroger branded for 99cents. I got 2 of them to try this. This is available virtually anywhere. You probably already have sone at home.

After dosing Hydrogen Peroxide, they floated briefly, then seemed to disappear! Like they were liquified!

** I only did the sump of both of my systems, and only the fuge portion of that.
So, I could isolate them, treat them, drain/pump them out, and refill with fresh salt water I had made up.
I also used filter socks to catch any thing aI could. With Flatworn exit, it caught a lot., With H2O2- they seemed to have been liauified by the oxidizer!
I did not run ANY carbon afterwards either!

In my larger fuge- that's about 30 gallons. I dumped the entire 32oz. bottle in.
Left it for 30 minutes, and pumped it as dry as I could and refilled with WC water.

For my smaller system's fuge, - probably about 8 gallons total, I used about 16 oz. of H2O2 and left it for about 30 minutes.

I had some smaller power heads in the sump during treatment to keep it mixed up.
I think it killed off most or all the pods there too in the treated area.

Froin immediate until Days later:
- No adverse effects in the DT's! NO corals closing, no fish changing behaviors, nadda.
- I can't see one red planaria in the fuge area. There were loads, now none.
- Very inexspensive, and great results!
- This also gave me the opportunity to pump sludgy stuff out of my fuge area to the drain!

This is a win/win for me!!

LgTas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Problem is my fuge is basically an ecosystem itself. Sponges, featherdusters, random plate corals that have just appeared, copepods, mysis etc. etc. Its also my primary form of filtration (I don't have a skimmer or socks, roller etc. but still dose nitrates and feed heavy for phosphates).

I think if I nuked it, it would throw my balanced system out of whack.

OP
OP
T

The Todd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. Problem is my fuge is basically an ecosystem itself. Sponges, featherdusters, random plate corals that have just appeared, copepods, mysis etc. etc. Its also my primary form of filtration (I don't have a skimmer or socks, roller etc. but still dose nitrates and feed heavy for phosphates).

I think if I nuked it, it would throw my balanced system out of whack.

Maybe so. I rarely use fi8lter socks on the returns, only to clean up after something. I do run a skimmer, but the level is set very low, doesn't skim much on purpose. I only feedd once a day and never added Nitrates or phos.
So far, this really worked with no ill effects other than possibly decreasing my fauna in the sump for a while. I think it'll come back in the sump with plenty of pods crawling around again too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back