Red Sea Alkalinity Test

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everybody,

The instructions for the Red Sea Alkalinity Test say to "add 1 drop of KH indicator...The test sample will obtain the titration "start" color as shown on the instruction card." To achieve the "start" color, a light blue, I have to add 2-3 drops. At what point do I start counting the drops to determine dKH? After adding the one starting drop of indicator, which produces no change in the sample color, or after adding 2-3 drops to reach the "start" color. It can make a significant difference in the test results.

Thanks for your help!
Josh

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...i have the Red Sea Pro Alk test kit. Is that what yours is?

If so, you just add the reagent into the water sample drop by drop and swishing between drops. The initial few drops give the blue color and then slowly add toward the end of the test until you get a slight green color. Then determine how much reagent was used on the syringe and compare to the chart for the Alk reading.

I know about where my alkalinity will be, so i don't initially add small drops...i squirt in a bunch of the reagent to get down close ro my expected result, and then add drop by drop.

Now if you don't have the Pro version, maybe the directions are different?

Last edited:

rubertoe93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this issue, just count the drops to make it turn green, the alk pro is so much better to use, if you get stuck take some to your lfs, I did that and just by counting the first drop as one then carrying on till it went green, left me at 7 my lfs tested with a salifert test kit and came in at 7.5

OP
OP
J

joshbpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! Found some other threads with the same question and I'm following the general consensus: use the Hanna test kit!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back