Red Sea coral pro precipitated in DT, help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

vdubreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the instructions says mix for only 2 hrs or so then do your water change, or it will precip. Well what's stopping the salt from precipitating out once it's in the tank ? It's technically still being mixed and heated ?? I don't understand this is my second bucket of this stuff and I can't seem to keep my tank from being cloudy, tank will be clear one day then the next it's all cloudy and my levels are dropping a full dkh a day even more, what am I missing ?

OP
OP
vdubreefer

vdubreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kinda hard to tell , but it's cloudy, look at the precip on the mp40's and the bottom glass

999a404996bda119bd8fe4cf72fc4a51.jpg

OP
OP
vdubreefer

vdubreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ? Anyone at all ? If this has been answered please point me in the right direction cuz i stumped, please

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this salt too, and most of the times it sits in the bucket mixing and heating for a full 24 hours or more (sometimes 3 days.....)and I don't get the precip you're having. Sorry I can't be of more help but I don't think it's your 'mixing time ' that is causing your problem.

SoreninKL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ? Anyone at all ? If this has been answered please point me in the right direction cuz i stumped, please
I haven't had this problem (knocking on wood) but I think your problem can be solved if you post this in the reef chemistry forum.

cheers

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this salt for 7 years, never had an issue. Is the salt cloudy before adding it to the tank? The water should be cool, I mix the water at room temp at around 75 degrees. If the tank is new you could experience a bacterial bloom. The dkh drop is the tanks uptake so that's normal and has nothing to do with cloudiness. Also, if you don't need the elevated alk and calcium the try the regular blue bucket.

Panky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same problem. I thought my issue was from starting my new mix I only had 2 200gallon bags of coral pro and 1 bucket of the blue to mix 550 gallons. It’s been cloudy since. I’ve done a 55 gallon water change and am about to start a 200 gallon, but I don’t want to if it’s going to be cloudy again

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using coral pro for a long time and only time I experienced this was when I mixed up to much and left it in a Tupperware container for a few days with a powerhead, was cloudy in there. Now when I mix it up it clears up really fast like less than 30 minutes and add it to the tank and never has caused cloudiness in the tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So as the instructions says mix for only 2 hrs or so then do your water change, or it will precip. Well what's stopping the salt from precipitating out once it's in the tank ? It's technically still being mixed and heated ?? I don't understand this is my second bucket of this stuff and I can't seem to keep my tank from being cloudy, tank will be clear one day then the next it's all cloudy and my levels are dropping a full dkh a day even more, what am I missing ?

I know this is an old thread (recently revived), but there are clear reasons why salt mixes tend to precipitate in the mixing barrel more than in the tank.

I'll get to those below, but it is also a mistake to think precipitation doesn't happen in display tanks. It happens in many if not most tanks, but you tend to not notice it because it happens on existing calcium carbonate surfaces (sand, rocks) where we don't see it, or warm objects (pump impellers, heaters) where we do see it, rather than throughout the water column making it cloudy.

The reason it is less pronounced in a reef aquarium at the same alk, calcium, pH, and temperature is that growing calcium carbonate surfaces get covered in organics, phosphate, magnesium, whole bacteria, and other things that tend to slow or halt the precipitation. Of these, only mangesium is present in a raw salt mix in similar amounts to a reef tank. When the CaCO3 surfaces get coated, they are less likely to allow ongoing precipitation of calcium carbonate to continue.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 44 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back