Red Sea max e 260 skimmer

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys wondering how if any of you with the redsea E series have any issues with your skimmers? I have had mine for over a year and a half and never get any skimate. I don't know if my tank is just not dirty enough or what. I have the air valve wide open and dialed in to where the "foam/bubbles" if I can even call it that starts at the bottom of the neck or collection area. I get white foam every once in a while and buy the end of the week the neck will be dirty however I never get skim mate. Any suggestions on if I am doing something right or wrong thanks !

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we have the same skimmer (Max E170). I get TONES of skimmate. (some days I get nothing however) I removed the valve all together (just because the instructions said too). I raise the gate on the left until the bubbles get to about 1/4 " up the throat of the collection cup.

The big thing is I keep the cup clean. I brush off all the grime from the inside of the throat of the CUP. when I dont I do not get much in the cup it seems to "stick" to the throat.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we have the same skimmer! I keep it at the base and very rarely do I get foam even to the top of the neck. I also took the valve off all together. Just curious where do you keep your water level? I keep mine at the recommended level by redsea so half the round plastic circle is showing where the nozzles are how about you? also yes most of the crap gets stuck in the neck and I rinse and and wipe it down with a paper towel once ever two weeks. But I never ever get skimate its crazy.

gmdcdvm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How loud is your skimmer? Mine produces plenty of stuff, but it is somewhat loud. The tank is almost silent when I turn it off. I get a low vibration when it is on. Just wondering is this is normal.

Gerry

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 1/4 inch up

CDE6F36A-B2D0-4A18-AB39-0AC3D0DA46F1.jpeg

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How loud is your skimmer? Mine produces plenty of stuff, but it is somewhat loud. The tank is almost silent when I turn it off. I get a low vibration when it is on. Just wondering is this is normal.

Gerry
Mostly sounds like a water fall from the flood gate. I find the vibration goes away when you rotate the skimmer so its not touching the wall of the tank.

Phil D.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my daughters E-170, I have the water level just to the top of the return pipe in the sump area. I have the gate on the skimmer set 1 1/2 inches below the max and am getting lots of skim and have the valve open 5 turns from closed. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my daughters E-170, I have the water level just to the top of the return pipe in the sump area. I have the gate on the skimmer set 1 1/2 inches below the max and am getting lots of skim and have the valve open 5 turns from closed. Hope this helps.
Yeah I have mine water adjusted to about the same level, but I could open my gate all the way and not even reach the top of the skimmer cup with the valve all the way open, its really weird and its always been this way. Maybe I should recheck all the fittings.

Taxus812

Destroyer of corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine is the same. The sump water level should be just about at the top of the bend in the return. That will put the water just below the level of the gate when it is all the way down.
C7F1C0D0-6641-4928-8AFA-9B48DEBEBA6B.jpeg
image.jpg

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is the same. The sump water level should be just about at the top of the bend in the return. That will put the water just below the level of the gate when it is all the way down.
image.jpg
Okay thank you ! mine is right at the top of the bed as well, however my flood gate is all the way open to get foam production even going. its so weird.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey just an update back, I took the skimmer out saw no blockage, but rinsed it with high water pressure from hose. Plugged it back in and it looks WAY better, actually producing bubbles and foam as before it was just like water flow with very little bubbling going on so I have high hopes that I fixed it. So I maybe cleared some blockage. Will update back again in a week or so.

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but does the skimmer gate determine the water level in the sump chamber in the E170?

is that what determines the water level?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 136 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.9%
Back