Red Sea Pro Nitrate Testing

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you're right. However, after watching the videos, and reading the instructions for the 10th time, and another 3 failed tests, it was time to try something else...
Let’s get @Rick Mathew perspective. He and @taricha have really studied the Hanna Marine Nitrate test.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The specks are sometimes seen in kits that use zinc metal. They can affect color formation, but I have not heard about or experienced complete lack of color because of their presence.

I would say your nitrate level is low.
Tried the API test kit again, and it shows no nitrate (not that its totally accurate). Re ran red sea pro and just the grey-blue specs.

I think i'll leave the tank "as is" until this summer, keep doing what i'm doing... If unwanted algae or dinos appear or if the green stag is worse by summer, i'll do another ICP and then i might add some nitrate again and see what that does if it's still basically zero. Tank looks great overall so hate to change things just because of number. i have about 6 or 7 hard to reach bubble algae bubbles too, and my snails and emeralds are in quarantine until some time in May--so hesitant to add nitrate and feed those bubble buggers until i have something to eat them...

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hanna test, if the filter is working properly, there is absolutely zero gray particles that survive the filtration step. That said, there are a lot of ways for the filter assembly to fail, apparently. My first time using it I accidentally discarded a clear plastic disc part that was stuck to the bottom of the paper filter, and after that the next paper filter tore and allowed particles through because it wasn't supported correctly. After fishing for the plastic disc in the trash, the issue was resolved!
Rick had much worse luck than me, no amount of troubleshooting ever got his filter holder assembly to stop leaking.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tried the API test kit again, and it shows no nitrate (not that its totally accurate). Re ran red sea pro and just the grey-blue specs.
Everything you said so far is just consistent with having very low nitrate.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think i'll leave the tank "as is" until this summer, keep doing what i'm doing... If unwanted algae or dinos appear or if the green stag is worse by summer, i'll do another ICP and then i might add some nitrate again and see what that does if it's still basically zero. Tank looks great overall so hate to change things just because of number. i have about 6 or 7 hard to reach bubble algae bubbles too, and my snails and emeralds are in quarantine until some time in May--so hesitant to add nitrate and feed those bubble buggers until i have something to eat them...
I agree that it is just undetectable NO3. Based on your ICP test, and the range of the pro kit, it is likely that your levels are still at 0.01 ppm. I wouldn’t change anything unless you see something beginning to get off. Just an FYI, I have been told that the reagents in the pro kit are the same ones in the regular NO2/NO3 test kit. Just the color wheel is calibrated for the additional water and lighter color.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the hanna test, if the filter is working properly, there is absolutely zero gray particles that survive the filtration step. That said, there are a lot of ways for the filter assembly to fail, apparently. My first time using it I accidentally discarded a clear plastic disc part that was stuck to the bottom of the paper filter, and after that the next paper filter tore and allowed particles through because it wasn't supported correctly. After fishing for the plastic disc in the trash, the issue was resolved!
Rick had much worse luck than me, no amount of troubleshooting ever got his filter holder assembly to stop leaking.

I maty have been in Rick's boat. All parts were accounted for...but could never get a non-cloudy reading.

JMetaxas

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bottom line, you just have nearly zero Nitrates. Assuming you're doing the Red Sea test properly, which isn't very hard, no color at all means no reading.

I recently did that test on my 180gal mixed reef and saw close to the same, just a hint of pink. I just happened to get my new Hanna LR Nitrate test kit that day and gave it a whirl. The result was .74ppm, so the Red Sea was pretty much spot on.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you're right. However, after watching the videos, and reading the instructions for the 10th time, and another 3 failed tests, it was time to try something else...

From my experience the filtration step is the most problematic. As I mentioned in my "review" of the test, I frequently had leaks in the plastic filter holder (see here Post # 29 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...e-accuracy-nitrite-interference.783628/page-2) . as @ taricha commented when the filtration is done correctly the result has no zinc particles in the sample....it is almost completely clear. So if you are getting a "gray sediment" then the filtration is not working properly.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience the filtration step is the most problematic. As I mentioned in my "review" of the test, I frequently had leaks in the plastic filter holder (see here Post # 29 https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...e-accuracy-nitrite-interference.783628/page-2) . as @ taricha commented when the filtration is done correctly the result has no zinc particles in the sample....it is almost completely clear. So if you are getting a "gray sediment" then the filtration is not working properly.

Agreed. Since it didn't work well for me, I sold it.

Danndcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, no he tenido ningún problema con el agua del tanque de 16 ml. 5 gotas de A, agitar durante 15 segundos, 1 cucharada de tapón B y agitar durante 1 minuto, cucharada de C agitar durante 15 segundos y dejar reposar durante 9. Debería adquirir un color rosa
Si, pero en que numero tiene que estar para saber que nitratos debo manejar

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Si, pero en que numero tiene que estar para saber que nitratos debo maneja
Not sure I understand which number you are asking about. What level nitrates should you be aiming for?

Or are you asking about how to do the test if your nitrates are higher than the maximum number on the wheel?

Danndcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No estoy seguro de entender por qué número está preguntando. ¿A qué nivel de nitratos debería apuntar?

¿O está preguntando cómo hacer la prueba si sus nitratos son más altos que el número máximo en la rueda?
Si a qué nivel de nitratos debería apuntar

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A que número del rango bajo
After you match the color of the test sample in the center with the control sample on the outer spot, look to see where the pointer is facing. I circled in blue in the example from page 1. The test sample is clear and the control is over the non pink circle to match the colors between the two. Which gives a reading of 0.0 on the wheel.
redsea.jpg

Danndcg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Después de hacer coincidir el color de la muestra de prueba en el centro con la muestra de control en el punto exterior, mire para ver hacia dónde apunta el puntero. Marqué con un círculo azul en el ejemplo de la página 1. La muestra de prueba es clara y el control está sobre el círculo no rosado para que coincida con los colores entre los dos. Lo que da una lectura de 0.0 en la rueda. [ATTACH = full] 2155072 [/ ATTACH]
Ok gracias al 4ppm esta bien?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back