Red Sea Reefer 450

Jmelki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time making a build thread so here we go.

Equipment list:

Red Sea Reefer 450

Three Radion G3 pros

MP40

Mag 9.5 return pump but plan on upgrading to the Vectra at some point.

image.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you have going on in the sump? Did you pick a skimmer yet?

OP
OP
Jmelki

Jmelki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing exciting in the sump yet. Still waiting on skimmer to get back in stock. I decided to go with the NYOS 160.

I put a blue dot jawfish in for my first fish but the dang thing jumped out. I know they are jumpers but I really don't want to put a top on the tank. It looks so much better without a top. Plus not a lot of options for tops with this system.

image.jpeg

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm running a Nyos in my 450 and love it!

Ironically one of my first fish was a Diamond Watchman Goby and it jumped out. I refuse to put a screen on this tank.

OP
OP
Jmelki

Jmelki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm running a Nyos in my 450 and love it!

Ironically one of my first fish was a Diamond Watchman Goby and it jumped out. I refuse to put a screen on this tank.

Your sump looks insane! I might have to steal some of your ideas. Great job.

What kind of attachment did you put on the return spout? I don't really like the stock one.

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The NYOS 160 is a great choice for a skimmer for this tank. We are going to run the 120 on our Reefer 170 here at the shop.

I have the NYOS 160's in stock and can ship out today or first thing in the morning if you want. They ship for free.

http://vividpetsupplies.com/products/nyos-quantum-skimmers

Dave

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sump looks insane! I might have to steal some of your ideas. Great job.

What kind of attachment did you put on the return spout? I don't really like the stock one.

I had to glue it on actually. This is a small writeup I did when answering another member...

"Well, this is where it gets a little tricky. The obvious parts are the following:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/y-redu...ular-hose.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-li...-segments.html

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/loc-li...ow-nozzle.html

So the issue is that you will need a specific, 2-part urethane structural adhesive(Norton SpeedGrip 1 Minute) to bond the Loc-Line "Y" to the Red Sea outlet. This is only sold in a fairly large quantity and it takes a $50 application gun at that. I work with bonding plastics all of the time for my personal business, so I have this stuff on hand. At $30 for the tube of adhesive, $50 for the gun and a few $ for the application nozzles, I don't know that many will do it exactly like I did. At any rate, the 2-part urethane dries shiny black and creates an amazing bond with pretty much all plastic, metal, fiberglass etc. A simple 80-grit rough-up of the mating surfaces and it's permanent! So I removed the extension nozzle from the Red Sea outlet and bonded the "Y" directly to the outlet. It's nice because the Red Sea ball socket/outlet is still in place and gives you infinite adjustment in conjunction with the Loc-Line. I used a generous amount of the 2-part urethane around the end of the Red Sea outlet and slipped the "Y" over it. I then used a latex glove and my finger to smooth/smear the urethane around the joint and shaft of the Red Sea outlet. Since the 2-part urethane is shiny black, it really blends in with the plastic of the Loc-Line and the Red Sea outlet."

The NYOS 160 is a great choice for a skimmer for this tank. We are going to run the 120 on our Reefer 170 here at the shop.

I have the NYOS 160's in stock and can ship out today or first thing in the morning if you want. They ship for free.

http://vividpetsupplies.com/products/nyos-quantum-skimmers

Dave

Hey Dave, I have a Reefer 450 also with a Nyos 120. Do you think it would be wise of me to upgrade to the 160? This has been in the back of my mind for the last couple of months.

OP
OP
Jmelki

Jmelki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that seems pretty involved Broadfield. I'll probably stick with the stock return right now. Thanks for answering me though.

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to upgrade to the NYOS 160 if you have the 120 and the Nitrates are well under control. If you are having trouble keeping the Nitrates down then upgrading the skimmer would be worthwhile.

Dave

whatchamacallit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vivid Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't the water too shallow for the 120? I have the reefer 170 and it's .8 too shallow which is affecting the skim

We haven't had any issues running NYOS skimmers on Red Sea Reefer setups. Try adjusting the skimmer a bit more. Or try running the sump level slightly higher.

Dave

nbagnardi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven't had any issues running NYOS skimmers on Red Sea Reefer setups. Try adjusting the skimmer a bit more. Or try running the sump level slightly higher.

Dave
i have a nyos 160 in my 450 sump... had to bring it up an inch and quarter. but man, is it working... and SILENTLY!!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 25.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 55 24.1%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 54 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back