Red Sea screen top, whats the all the hubbub about.

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my screen top for my peninsula 650. This was to be temporary til I could get a custom acrylic made. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade now that it is done.

I've heard a lot of people dis'ing these. It wasn't that bad of a project and I think it turned out nice. Took me and a friend about an hour and a half.

Attachments

• 20200630_170357.mp4
    80.8 MB

hdsoftail1065

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished my screen top for my peninsula 650. This was to be temporary til I could get a custom acrylic made. Don't think I will be in a hurry to upgrade now that it is done.

I've heard a lot of people dis'ing these. It wasn't that bad of a project and I think it turned out nice. Took me and a friend about an hour and a half.
Good job, it looks nice!

Matt1997

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Don’t do acrylic. I have two of the same tanks, both are using the aluminum mesh tops. The custom acrylic top I had done warps slowly due to humidity.

Futuretotm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nicely done! Just wish they had a thing for a feed door, although I did see a video where someone did the a feed door with the Red Sea kit

OP
OP
smokin'reefer

smokin'reefer

Sea Urchin
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you recommend ordering a size bigger? That way you have extra aluminum pieces to make a door for feeding?
In the standard kit I received there is plenty to do a cut out for feeding. They have the extra 90° pieces to do a couple. For mine I didn't use the ones for the overflow because it is well under the screen.
I choose not to at this time to keep it simple. I dont think I will have a problem coming back when I have a better game plan on how to achieve this.

I need to figure out how to combine one of those magnetic screen closers they have on the "as seen on TV" shelf. Lol

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished one last night. It's quality is really good and worth the extra in my opinion. I also see how it can be messy to setup. But the reason is not because of the net like many reviews claimed, it's actually the spline and the roller.

Comparing to a normal window screen, the spline in redsea's kit is a bit thick. Then the roller is a bit too thin. I have to push very hard into the spline, but the roller is easy to slip to the side. So I ended up push the roller hard on to the screen, and tear it.

The good thing about the net is, it can actually be pushed down to the channel and it will stay in place.
PXL_20200827_040258763.jpg

That is not true for BRS net, which will pop right back up. So I use the roller I got from home depot to first push the net into the channel, then roll the spline in, it worked nice and easy that way. They should really replace their roller and instructions on the kit.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 37 19.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 141 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back