Red slime in my 55 gal refugium

KTownReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling red slime in my refugium but not in my main display. I’ve used chemiclean several times and it goes away for a period of time and then eventually comes back but only in my refugium. Any idea why it’s only in the refugium and what can I do to get rid of it permanently?
Phosphate @ 0.02
Nitrate @ 10
Calcium @ 438
Alkalinity @ 9.1 dkh
Magnesium @ 1290

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it's due to low flow or nutrients settling out, but in a fuge that's kind of expected. Do you use any filter socks. Might help keep the detritus down. I blow out the tank and sand once a week and put a new filter sock in to catch the particulates.

OP
OP
KTownReefer

KTownReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it's due to low flow or nutrients settling out, but in a fuge that's kind of expected. Do you use any filter socks. Might help keep the detritus down. I blow out the tank and sand once a week and put a new filter sock in to catch the particulates.
Yes I use filter socks and I have good flow as well. Any idea why it’s not in my display?

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the answer you want to hear. But I really wouldn’t worry about it if it’s in your refugium. If it isn’t affecting your main display and or any corals than I wouldn’t go out of my way to fix it. I’ve had all sorts of stuff grow in my refugium. As long as it was out of my display, I was happy. Best of luck!

OP
OP
KTownReefer

KTownReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the answer you want to hear. But I really wouldn’t worry about it if it’s in your refugium. If it isn’t affecting your main display and or any corals than I wouldn’t go out of my way to fix it. I’ve had all sorts of stuff grow in my refugium. As long as it was out of my display, I was happy. Best of luck!
The problem is is that my refugium is a 55 gallon beside my display not under it.

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the lighting over the refugium?

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is is that my refugium is a 55 gallon beside my display not under it.

Gotcha!! I would cut the lights off in the refugium for a few days and add more flow! It should help!

Many have come across this issue and that’s what they do.

Good luck!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.4%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 41 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back