Red Bugs... who has them and what are you doing to combat them?

Blade*13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good friend of mine got a melanarus wrasse for his red bug problem and it's wiped them out quick

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many acros do you have, are they easy to remove from the tank or large and well encrusted to the rock?

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took all my acorns out and dipped them every 4-5 days for a few weeks and that seemed to do it. Haven't seen any in a year.

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr G's Coral dip. Same main ingredient as Interceptor. 1ml per gallon. Three treatments a week apart. Remove hermits, starfish, snail etc. You're welcome.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you saying to do this as an in tank treatment or remove and dip?

If you are able to remove every scrap of acropora tissue to dip and hold in a temporary QT tank, then removing and dipping is an option. If your corals are well encrusted on the rocks, you will have to treat the tank.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me. I have them. Have interceptor, but waiting to treat. Scared to kill off everything.

cutun89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr G coral dip solution. Dose it straight to your tank ... I did mine last week and everything is getting better. No coral die from it. I have zoas, mushroom, sps and blasto in my tank.

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me. I have them. Have interceptor, but waiting to treat. Scared to kill off everything.

People have been treating reefs with interceptor for over a decade. It's really straight forward and there's nothing to worry about. Just remove all shrimp/crabs.

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You will kill off your entire pod population after the 3 week treatment.
Be ready to reseed your tank with pods. I waited a couple weeks and should have done it sooner. I think i would not have had to deal with ha if i had seeded earlier. Once i seeded in 3 weeks ha was gone.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will kill off your entire pod population after the 3 week treatment.
Be ready to reseed your tank with pods. I waited a couple weeks and should have done it sooner. I think i would not have had to deal with ha if i had seeded earlier. Once i seeded in 3 weeks ha was gone.

Yeah, and this is where my mind starts to spin; the idea of killing off a large variety of stuff, isopods, amphipods, copepods, and more, only to re-introduce a much smaller variety, perhaps even more RED BUGS. Paralysis by analysis!

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, and this is where my mind starts to spin; the idea of killing off a large variety of stuff, isopods, amphipods, copepods, and more, only to re-introduce a much smaller variety, perhaps even more RED BUGS. Paralysis by analysis!
Yep i struggled with this as well. But i the alternative is wosre IMO.
FWIW I did loose 2 cleaner shrimp that would not let me catch them until they were showing signs of being disoriented (that was painful) at which time i transfered them to another tank in hopes they would recover. All amphipods and copepods gone. Amphipods i do miss.
But i still have spaghetti worms and mini brittle stars. I reseeded with a hand ful off amphipods from another tank get them every time i pull the sock and tisbe pods.

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dr G coral dip solution. Dose it straight to your tank ... I did mine last week and everything is getting better. No coral die from it. I have zoas, mushroom, sps and blasto in my tank.

Does Dr G coral dip make your skimmer go crazy?

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. G's coral dip can be used as an in tank treatment for Red Bugs. It will harm invertebrates. Your skimmer will foam and overflow like crazy, but this is fine since you want the medication to treat everything.

Just like any in tank treatment don't run carbon.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back