Redsea reefer peninsula 700 lighting

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone, im starting up a new tank soon and i was looking for some input on the lighting. The tank is a 2.25 x 2.25' x 5' peninsula. Im thinking about going with 3 Radion xr15's and then 2 AI blade 57' grows to add in some fill light. What are your guys thoughts? I was thinking about maybe adding a 4th Radion, but i keep going back and forth on if that's overkill. My tank will be a mixed reef or lps and sps. This is the last piece of the 'puzzle' and then ill be ready to start ordering all of the new equipment. Once i get the lighting finalized im going to start a build thread w/ all my equipment listed too, if anyone is interested in following along as i go

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a very similar setup as the one you describe with 3 x Radion XR15 g6 and 2 x AI Blade Grow - on a 4 foot setup.

If you are happy with the cost implication that comes with inventing in these expensive lights then you won't be disappointed!

For the first year I had only the XR15s and added the Blade lights just recently. Works a treat.

You will have 10 different opinions from 10 different reefers.

OP
OP
mbressler

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a very similar setup as the one you describe with 3 x Radion XR15 g6 and 2 x AI Blade Grow - on a 4 foot setup.

If you are happy with the cost implication that comes with inventing in these expensive lights then you won't be disappointed!

For the first year I had only the XR15s and added the Blade lights just recently. Works a treat.

You will have 10 different opinions from 10 different reefers.
Thanks I appreciate the info. What kind of light spillage are you currently seeing with the blades you’ve got? Is there an optimal mounting height that you’ve got that limits it?

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I appreciate the info. What kind of light spillage are you currently seeing with the blades you’ve got? Is there an optimal mounting height that you’ve got that limits it?
My blades are slightly angled inwards to the spill is minimal. Nothing that I have noticed really.

As for the mounting height, my lights are 22 cm over the water surface.

OP
OP
mbressler

mbressler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My blades are slightly angled inwards to the spill is minimal. Nothing that I have noticed really.

As for the mounting height, my lights are 22 cm over the water surface.
Good stuff. I think the only other worry I’m having is the mounting options. I can’t hang, so my plan is to run the hms mounting bracket longways across the peninsula(approx 5 ft). The issue I want to hash out is that the overflow box sits in the center of the side of the tank. I think the hms bracket arms rest mostly on the top rim of the tank and the exterior portions of the glass walls….so maybe there isn’t a problem? I would like to make sure that the arms can be mounted securely without coming into contact with the overflow box. Anyone have a similar set up, or can offer advice?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back