Reduce-reuse-recycle, reef?

reeffirstaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I think of all the reef aquariums I’ve owned, and visited over the years, the word sustainable never comes to mind. Home reef tanks use a lot of electricity, are tremendous water wasters (especially if you employ a RODI unit) and have been implicated in the release of invasive species into natural waters. This goes without mentioning, much of our livestock comes from the wild. None of this does the environment any favors. Conservationists and activists who work actively against the aquarium trade, hang their hats on these aspects. What they forget, is that reef aquariums offer a glimpse into a world, that without them, many people would never see. Here in the U.S., coral reefs are often thousands of miles from our homes, spread out over remote location in the Caribbean or South Pacific. I’ve been to islands barely visited by outsiders, to dive some of the most beautiful reefs on Earth. Here, the local population maintain a traditional lifestyle, which is both ancient and archaic by modern standards.

Needless to say, without coral reef aquariums, many people would have no connection to these ecosystems. Aquariums inspire conservation ethic, and have transformed islanders who once decimated their reefs for the limestone industry, into coral farmers and sustainable fish providers. As aquarium technology gets sleeker and more efficient, arguments saying that reef aquariums are a drain on resources, are getting weak. There are a few conscientious, and environmentally ethical choices we can make as aquarists, which trims the fat off our reef’s ecological footprint, and transforms the hobby into a sustainable, conservation inspiring wonder.

1. Use efficient equipment

Most of us know, in the reef world, cheaper is rarely better. One aspect of cheap equipment, ineffective pumps, circulation drives and lighting apparatus. Cheap pumps generate unwanted heat, are typically rather loud, and require more electricity than efficient, well-tuned circulation systems. A prime example of a top notch circulation pump, the EcoTech Vortech. The vortech is a variable rate pump, so it can pump a lot, a little, or anywhere in between. It requires less power to pump a little, and a random setting like reef crest mode, which alternates pump speed, is far more efficient than a power head, which simply pumps water at the same rate, all the time, all while giving off heat and warming your water.

Metal halide lighting is efficient at providing corals the light they need to thrive. It’s not efficient at lighting large spaces, and halides use a lot of electricity, most of which is converted to unwanted heat. For long tanks, or exceptionally wide tanks, a T5 fixture not only provides enough light, it’s far more efficient. Halides create a spot lighting, which is what causes the ripple effect we all love. The downside, the light stream loses intensity, the further away from the bulb you get. This is why often, you see large tanks with numerous halides, which can make a significant impact on your electric bill. Often what is eco-conscious, is conscious on your wallet in the long run, making T5’s a better option all around.

LED lighting is by far the most efficient. Even LED fixtures that pack a punch, use far less energy than a comparable metal halide, and in some instances, even a T5. The fact that the diodes last for 5-10 years, (some longer) before needing replaced, you can pride yourself in having a light fixture that doesn’t contribute to trash waste. LEDs can also ramp up, and down, providing periods of light intensity anywhere on the spectrum. Naturally, as they ramp down, or up, they consume far less electricity, then a light which pumps full intensity, all day long. It’s hard for anyone to argue that LED lighting isn’t efficient, making that one item we can check off the list, streamlining our aquarium’s footprint.

black-pearl-cs2-cone-skimmer.jpg

High end equipment, like this Black Pearl from AVAST, is often efficient and durable

2. Support captive breeding and coral fragmentation

Fragging is by far, the greenest thing to hit reef aquariums. Having multitudes of coral, handed down from one parent colony, makes a huge difference. When you consider that many parent colonies have been developed from a frag, the cord to Mother Nature has been totally cut. Entire show tanks have been developed, using corals and invertebrates totally grown in captivity. Since animal collection is the anti-reefer’s silver bullet, this really takes a large chunk out of their argument.

When we see all the corals collected at frag swaps, and sold by online vendors, it’s tremendous the amount of livestock that doesn’t come from a natural reef.
This spills over to fish keeping as well. There was a time, not long ago, that 100% of marine fish were harvested from wild reefs. Today, many species are available, born and raised in captivity. That list is growing, and may soon include several species of dwarf and large angelfish, along with a few species of tangs. Needless to say, one can have a beautiful reef tank, without taking anything from the ocean.
To make captive bred fish even more attractive, we find designer specimens such as Platinum Clownfish, and a huge host of others. This puts captive bred species, high on the aquarist’s want list.

clowns.jpg

As you can see, there are lots of options, when it comes to captive bred fish

3. Be smart

The biggest blow to marine aquariums in recent years, is most likely the release of non-native fish. The key example is the lionfish epidemic taking place throughout the Caribbean, on up to Maine. It’s a problem, and the jury is out, as to whether aquarists releasing their fish, or ships dumping their ballasts are to blame. It doesn’t matter, it makes the hobby look bad. All the aquarists I’ve known make responsible decisions. If a fish outgrows their reef, they give it to a fish outlet, or fellow hobbyist. Then again, the majority of hobbyists I know, are nowhere near the open ocean.
This boils down to simple personal responsibility. Keeping fish that won’t outgrow your aquarium, and maintaining integrity with your reef keeping methods. Even if you live in the native marine habitat of a specimen, releasing a fish from captivity is bad news. As Jacques Cousteau once noted, “Once taken into captivity, an animal is no longer wild.â€

Being smart also boils over into the realm of research. Current statistics thrown out by aquarium activists report, that nearly 95% of fish taken off natural reefs, die within one year of captivity. 70% don’t even make it to a wholesaler’s tank. While these figures seem high to me, I know the death rate is high. The largest contributor, ignorant shop owners and ignorant would-be aquarists. Too many fish die in the hands of someone, who hasn’t a clue how to care for them. Copperbanded butterflyfish, Moorish idols, and Achilles tangs – all represent species who should only be kept by aquatic experts. Their diet, reluctance to feed, susceptibility to parasites and general demeanor are too much, for someone new, intermediate or even advanced, to really care for or understand. There are a handful of aquarists, if given a healthy specimen, who can keep it successfully every time, but that’s it.

There are far too many hardy, beautiful fish, which adapt well to aquarium life, to justify keeping something, you simply have no business keeping. In the age of the internet, information about marine fish is easily accessible, for free. Intelligent, well informed fish keepers, and responsible shop owners, are two of the pieces to solving this death rate puzzle.

The next is capture and collection techniques. For years, cyanide was the weapon of choice for wild fish collectors. It stunned the fish, killed off a few, devastated the reefs, and delivered a dying specimen to the aquarist. Today, initiative taken from within the reef aquarium industry, has educated local populations on how to net capture fish safely, and provide for them until they are picked up by an exporter. It wasn’t uncommon for specimens to spend hours, if not days, on a tiny boat, in a cup of water, exposed to the blaring Pacific sun. The Marine Aquarium Council got the ball rolling, teaching islanders what it takes to net capture fish, keep them healthy and ensure survival.

It’s worth noting, that this wasn’t something the reef aquarium industry was forced to do, this is action they took willingly. Activists must remember, the reef aquarium industry is fueled by aquarists, who have a strong attachment to these animals.

dead-yellow-tangs270x224.jpg

Hundreds of dead tangs, pulled from a Hawaiian dumpster, put there by an irresponsible marine aquarist, provides powerful ammunition for those against reef aquariums

aquarium_collection_brooke_everett.jpg

The aquarium industry has taken initiative to train fish collectors on reliable and humane ways to collect aquarium fish

4. Utilize grey water

If you run a RODI (like many of us) then you have ample grey water. Even an efficient unit, creates 4 gallons of waste, per one gallon of pure. In a world where people die, due to limited access to clean water, wasting it by the hundreds of gallons, to fill your fish tank, may seem like a bad idea. The good news, just because we call it waste water, doesn’t mean it can’t be used. Toilets can be flushed, flowers watered, washing machines filled – the list goes on and on. Grey water from a RODI can also be used to keep a self-watering planter system. The water wasted while running your RODI, can be put to good use growing vegetables, which not only provides fresh healthy foods, it reduces the need to consume GMO enriched store bought veggies.

One awesome use of grey water, is to use an inexpensive pump and hose, to use the water to wash your car. Car washing is another major water waster, and if you have a large tank, the amount of grey water you create, works perfect for a nice car wash.

Self-Watering-Garden.jpg

Grey water can power a nice, small or large, self watering garden

5. Properly maintain your tank

This would seem like a no brainer, but every visit to any forum, and you’ll find someone dodging basic reef aquarium care, typically a water change. Can they be dodged, to an extent, maybe. Should they be dodged, no they shouldn’t. A properly maintained reef will allow livestock to flourish. A poorly maintained one, that tries every shortcut in the book, will result in constant failure. This means one aquarist is consuming double, if not triple, the resources a more prudent one does. In an age, where for some, money is of little object, it boils down to pure responsibility. Fish, nor corals, nor invertebrates are an everlasting resource. There natural environment is under stress from many things: climate change, pollution, over fishing, reef degradation, etc. The last thing coral reefs need is millions of irresponsible aquarists, who treat their livestock like a disposable decoration. Shows like Tanked, make it seem like the whole lot of us are thick headed imbeciles. Reality is, most aquarists are educated and wise about what they are doing.

It’s for this reason, that it’s so vital that everyone implements a quarantine system. Many, if not almost all, fish related illness and death, can be totally averted by properly quarantining new arrivals. It’s a common misconception that all of our systems are ich infested, and with proper quarantine, they won’t carry any parasites. Quarantine allows you to observe and treat a new arrival, by protecting your body of livestock from any possible illness. Again, good for the environment, good for your wallet.

When you make the commitment to a reef aquarium, you need to understand that it costs money and time. Like I always say, often to prospective clients, “Reef aquariums are not for everyone.†For those of us that love them, we couldn't live without them, for someone Luke warm about having to care for a small personal ocean, then another hobby is probably a better choice.

6. Know your facts

Being informed about your hobby, is always a good idea. Knowing that sustainable fish collection, coral propagation, and culturing marine invertebrates has provided jobs for islanders who were blowing up their reefs for the limestone industry, is good knowledge to have. I personally have dealt with reef conservationist who attack the hobby, and would love to see it shut down, or tightly regulated. Reality is, the hobby is a small poke on the natural environment, when compared to over fishing and illegal disposal of waste.

If you follow the tips and ideas in this article, you’ll not only have a beautiful reef, you’ll have one that creates a tiny footprint on nature, and sets a positive example for other aquarists.

mrramsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got into reeding and still have a lot to learn. I am still trying to figure out a good way to capture and store my ro waste water to put to good use.

rrusch24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great read. This goes hand-in-hand with Bob Frenner's The Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

mrramsey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol just realized my post said "just got into reeding"... Stupid phone... Supposed to say "reefing"

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have become more aware lately of sustainability simply from becoming an aquarist and interested in these animals. I'm hoping to utilize mostly sustainable sources as far as stocking my tank, etc.

debby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in a co-op in NYC. (for those who don't know what that is, it's an apartment that you own, like a house with a mortgage). The question I have is, are there any ways in a shared community space like an apartment building to re-route the waste h2o from my RODI into another common use, like toilet, clothes washer, etc?

thanks!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back