Reef Aquarium Fact #310 Clams require very strong lighting in order to survive and thrive in the hom

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #310

Clams require very strong lighting in order to survive and thrive in the home aquarium.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

1187965997_6857_zpseb6d5fb1.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What lighting do you use to house clams?

jedimasterben

Bubble coral sting good
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they require intense lighting, with blue clams requiring even more intense lighting, and have no measured photo inhibition point (they have other mechanisms to keep that at bay).

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species. There is of course always exceptions to amount of light some clams get. I would break it down like this

Crocea and Maxima - strong lighting metal halide or led
Derasa and Squamosa - medium to strong lighting metal halide, led, or t-5
Gigas and hippopus - medium to strong lighting metal halide, led, or t-5 possibly t-12 if kept close to the surface

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my Maxima i have him under leds. Never had one before suggestions on how to care for it would be welcomed.

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They require strong lighting but also as imporant IMO is very good water quality and the right inhabitins to survie!

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow NanaReefer that is a beautiful Crocea!

I just bought a Crocea and have it directly under ATI T5's, probably approx 250 par. I may move it up a bit if you all think it needs 300+ par.

shellynjason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the question - would it be true that smaller clams would require less intense lighting then fully grown clams due to the thickness of the mantle and thus number of zooxanthellae?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for the question - would it be true that smaller clams would require less intense lighting then fully grown clams due to the thickness of the mantle and thus number of zooxanthellae?

That's a great question! IMHO as a clam grows it's zoox amount inside the mantle also grows. So the larger the clam the more byproduct released from the zoox into the clam for consumption. So in other words the smaller the clam the less zoox and the same requirements for lighting are needed.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mine under leds but it has never opened like nana reefers. What is your secret?

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having the clam open that wide its optimizing the amount of light it can catch. The lights over the tank are enough to keep the clam alive, but it actually wants more light so its increasing its surface area. If you have too much light the opposite can happen and the clam won't extend out its mantle very far. You can bleach clams just like corals with too much light to fast

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having the clam open that wide its optimizing the amount of light it can catch. The lights over the tank are enough to keep the clam alive, but it actually wants more light so its increasing its surface area. If you have too much light the opposite can happen and the clam won't extend out its mantle very far. You can bleach clams just like corals with too much light to fast

Agreed!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back