Reef Aquarium Fact #328 Always quarantine new fish and corals. Seem like a fairly mundane tip, but i

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are going to continue discussing the reef aquarium facts submitted by our members. Do you agree or disagree? What are your thoughts?

Fact #328

Always quarantine new fish and corals. Seem like a fairly mundane tip, but it's a good one that could save your display tank.

Truth or False? What else might we need to learn on this subject? Please also share any pictures that may pertain to the subject.

image_large_zpsa7c25a16.jpg

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have very mixed feeling on this.
I qt'd my Achilles tang, he looked good was eating and everything..he was in a 60 gallon with a few other tangs.
I moved him to my 300 and boom stopped eating and died a week later...
I didn't want him to died when I first got him so I qt'd to make sure he would eat he ate and was fine, I feel like the move to a bigger tank caused unessacery stress that lead to his death.
S I always think back to that and think should I have just put him right in off the bat

Mayja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is a big, sticky, sore issue. I don't want to start a war, but here's how I do it. I have a couple LFS who will hold my fish in their quarantine tanks for 2+ weeks as long as I put down a deposit. Some use copper, others have low salinity, it varies from store to store. They make sure the fish is eating, happy and healthy before I take it home. It's worth the extra few dollars (and sometimes they don't charge me any extra) to have them quarantine the fish so I don't have to run and maintain a separate tank.

My 2 cents.

eliramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that this is a big, sticky, sore issue. I don't want to start a war, but here's how I do it. I have a couple LFS who will hold my fish in their quarantine tanks for 2+ weeks as long as I put down a deposit. Some use copper, others have low salinity, it varies from store to store. They make sure the fish is eating, happy and healthy before I take it home. It's worth the extra few dollars (and sometimes they don't charge me any extra) to have them quarantine the fish so I don't have to run and maintain a separate tank.

My 2 cents.

That's what I do

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it all depends on the fish and the setup it is going into. Most of the fish I get from the LFS I know are in systems that are medicated. If the fish is in the store a week or two in a healthy condition then they will go straight in. There are also a lot of fish that are not tolerant of heavy medications and a bare quarantine tank might stress them out even more. If I was going to do a FO tank with no LR then I would consider a quarantine system. In my experience choosing the right fish is half the battle. When I had a FO with no LR fighting ICH was a constant problem.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Full frame

Votes: 7 25.9%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 11 40.7%
  • All of the above

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back