Reef Aquariums are Impossible to Keep!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A customer recently came into our retail outlet for the first time. He had set up a reef tank for the first time with advice from another store, a traditional pet shop that sells all sorts of animals and is staffed with kids that are not in the reefkeeping hobby. He told us a story we often hear: his corals always die, he bought a fish recently at another store and now all his fish are dying, and he has uncontrollable algae everywhere in his tank. He was obviously agonizing over his now ugly tank and nagging wife that scolded him for how much he has spent on now dead animals and ordered to him shape it up or get rid of it!

This is a common tale, it happens all the time. Unfortunately when folks like this do tear down their tank they forever perpetuate the myth I hear all the time from non-hobbyists---reef aquariums are impossible to keep!

Well, seasoned hobbyists know better, right? However, I see threads on all the boards all the time about the same sorts of things. I've been in the hobby since 1965 and am always mystified how things can become so convoluted and difficult in this hobby. Fancy expensive bells and whistles equipment that can be controlled by your phone while you are on the other side of the globe, crazy silly designer names, $1000+ one inch frags, $5000+ fish, the pyramid scheme of limited edition corals, and so forth. It makes my head swim and confuses and intimidates a lot of hobbyists. Is any of it real or necessary?

Here's a video I made talking about these issues. Nothing fancy, not a grand production, just an old guy rambling on. For you well seasoned hobbyists that have it all figured out this will be laughably basic and you'll chuckle at my ignorance. I have folks come into our aquaculture facility all the time that have been in the hobby for a few months and tell me how I'm doing it all wrong, so what the heck do I know?

There are new hobbyists entering the hobby all the time, and folks just coming to this forum for the first time, so maybe this will assist them in a small way.

All the best and happy, and relaxing, reefing!

Dree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of research (more specifically) would you conduct? Curious because I conduct some research but in a completely different field!

Also, would you ever conduct research in regards to reef keeping?

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of research (more specifically) would you conduct? Curious because I conduct some research but in a completely different field!

Also, would you ever conduct research in regards to reef keeping?

Vaccine research and also lots of clinical trials related to environment, chemicals, additives, antibiotic effects on feed conversion and maximizing genetic potential. In the poultry industry it is all about preventive medicine and squeezing out as many as possible pounds of meat per pound of feed.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reassuring message the reef tanks do not have to be difficult. We often hear to much of the opposite,

ejpreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, loved this post. People spend a lot of money on things not needed that can cause your tank to crash. I love to keep it simple! I have a Red Sea Reefer tank 525XL and maybe do a water change every 3 months now and everything is in perfect shape. Corals and fish are getting so expensive these days that adding new things happens about once a month for me now. Great Post

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, loved this post. People spend a lot of money on things not needed that can cause your tank to crash. I love to keep it simple! I have a Red Sea Reefer tank 525XL and maybe do a water change every 3 months now and everything is in perfect shape. Corals and fish are getting so expensive these days that adding new things happens about once a month for me now. Great Post

Yeah, I have to laugh to myself at all the craziness in this hobby now.

oceaninabox12345

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. Im 19 and im friends with quite a few reefers my age on instagram. Unfortunately they are all caught up in the "measure absolutely everything and try to control it to the very last perfect detail". And it doesnt work. They rely on super fancy equipment for their results. Yes, good equipment is a good thing. 400 dollar skimmers and 2000 dollar lights are not needed for results, and they seem to think they are needed. I myself run off of 100 dollar lights, i never measure par, i rarely test unless theres an issue, and i dont dose. I grew a table acro from one tiny 1/4th frag, to 7 inches in 3 months. Its not all science and controlling it. Change things if your coral seems unhappy. It doesnt take a genius, and it doesnt take thousands and thousands of dollars.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome. Im 19 and im friends with quite a few reefers my age on instagram. Unfortunately they are all caught up in the "measure absolutely everything and try to control it to the very last perfect detail". And it doesnt work. They rely on super fancy equipment for their results. Yes, good equipment is a good thing. 400 dollar skimmers and 2000 dollar lights are not needed for results, and they seem to think they are needed. I myself run off of 100 dollar lights, i never measure par, i rarely test unless theres an issue, and i dont dose. I grew a table acro from one tiny 1/4th frag, to 7 inches in 3 months. Its not all science and controlling it. Change things if your coral seems unhappy. It doesnt take a genius, and it doesnt take thousands and thousands of dollars.

:cool:

Everyone goes down a different path. Some folks love gadgets and others don't. I always look at the expensive gadgets as just more stuff that can go wrong and if your tank depends on those things then you get wiped out when that device has a glitch. In our coral farm and in the 210 gallon displays I drip in kalk with top off water--the old tried and true method. I tested alkalinity today and it's dead on at 8 dKH, calcium at 475, etc. No other supplements are ever added. The tanks are fed twice daily with our fish blend and in the middle of the night with our coral blend.

Jeight

Mumble
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair there are some "bells and whistle" things that while expensive are worth it to me. Old guy here and quite honestly its all the advancements in the last 20 years that have made it easier to own a reef aquarium as a casual hobbyist. The internet and all the knowledge at your finger tips at any given time coupled with the electronic explosion of controllers and lights has really evened out the playing field. TBH if there was not new tech like Apex and GHL I would have not been interested in getting back into the hobby.

OP
OP
PacificEastAquaculture

PacificEastAquaculture

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair there are some "bells and whistle" things that while expensive are worth it to me. Old guy here and quite honestly its all the advancements in the last 20 years that have made it easier to own a reef aquarium as a casual hobbyist. The internet and all the knowledge at your finger tips at any given time coupled with the electronic explosion of controllers and lights has really evened out the playing field. TBH if there was not new tech like Apex and GHL I would have not been interested in getting back into the hobby.

Fair enough. Like I said, some folks love gadgets, but IMO they don't make it easier or better. I don't have any and grow thousands of corals.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back