Reef Chemistry Puzzle #3

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine?

IIRC all corals need it in some amounts, and it has a particular strong effect on the coloration of blue Acros. Iodine also has different forms such as Iodide and Iodate, as for the rest... idk, this is a total shot in the dark. :grinning-face-with-sweat:

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ca++ or Mg++ both group 2 elements and look similar in their pure form? Acropora love them. Have a radioactive brother, Ra.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is…

Calcium!

A. Corals love me. I love acropora especially, since they are always looking to take me into their warm embrace.

Acropora obviously loves to take up calcium.

B. I have several nearly identical siblings. Most reefers cannot tell us siblings apart, but I can see the difference.

There are a bunch of isotopes of calcium. Same number of protons in the nucleus (making it calcium) but different numbers of neutrons. Several of these isotopes are in reef tanks in substantial amounts.

C. Some of my siblings are unstable. Sometimes they just go crazy for no apparent reason. We tried therapy on them, but it didn't help them.

Some of the isotopes are radioactive. Even some in a reef tank will be. That’s what I meant by going crazy. Radioactive decay is one of the very few processes that seem unaffected by any normal things like temperature, pressure, etc.

D. One of my siblings used to be in another family. He went crazy there, and become one of us instead. Scientists tried to study him and those like him, but they failed to get a good story out of him. He seems very ordinary now. Even I think he looks identical to me.

If you recall a while ago we had a question of the day on reef tank radioactivity and saw that potassium was a main contributor. Some types of potassium breakdown produce a stable isotope of calcium (the main natural isotope). This is from the Wikipedia link above;

40Ca is also one of the daughter products of 40K decay, along with 40Ar. While K–Ar dating has been used extensively in the geological sciences, the prevalence of 40Ca in nature has impeded its use in dating.

Thanks for playing! I enjoyed reading all the suggestions.

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask now since I missed the radioactivity discussion. Are our aquariums radioactive sufficiently enough to cause human decay? I'm guessing not given that fish swim in it every day!

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to ask now since I missed the radioactivity discussion. Are our aquariums radioactive sufficiently enough to cause human decay? I'm guessing not given that fish swim in it every day!

It’s not anything to worry about, but the main radioactive material surprised me;

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back