Reef Chemistry Question of the Day #260 Loss of Elements by Evaporation

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which of the following elements (in any form) is least likely to leave a normal reef aquarium by evaporation from the top of the water?

A. Hydrogen
B. Sulfur
C. Nitrogen
D. Potassium
E. Oxygen
F. Iodine
G. Bromine
H. Carbon

Good luck!

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D - Potassium

Potassium is one of the alkali metals. The alkali metals are the elements that make up Group 1 (IA) of the periodic table. The periodic table is a chart that shows how chemical elements are related to one another. The alkali metals also include lithium, sodium, rubidium, cesium, and francium. They are among the most active metals.

Potassium is so active that it never occurs free in nature. It always occurs in compounds, combined with other elements. It was first prepared in pure form in 1807 by English chemist Sir Humphry Davy (1778-1829). Davy used a new method of isolating elements that he had invented, electrolysis. In electrolysis, an electric current is passed through a molten (melted) compound. The electrical current breaks the compound into its elements.”

Read more: http://www.chemistryexplained.com/elements/L-P/Potassium.html#ixzz5DMNRBy6M

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G. Br

EDIT TO ADD: Darn dyslexia...I read it "most" likely to evaporate....Br is the only one that will!

Last edited:

Chuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
D: Potassium
Its one of the most stable components on the table so least likely to volatalize (think I may have made up a word here).

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the answer is...D

Which of the following elements (in any form) is least likely to leave a normal reef aquarium by evaporation from the top of the water?
A. Hydrogen
B. Sulfur
C. Nitrogen
D. Potassium
E. Oxygen
F. Iodine
G. Bromine
H. Carbon

There are no forms of potassium that would be present in a reef tank that will evaporate. It is only present as K+ ion, and it won't evaporate. In general, anything with a charge on it won't evaporate. The very unusual forms of potassium that might evaporate (methyl potassium, and even potassium metal) will instantly decompose in water.

Going through the other choices, I'm only listing one or two forms that evaporate, but for each, many exist:

A. Hydrogen (comes off as water, H2O, evaporates)
B. Sulfur (comes off as H2S (hydrogen sulfide) and dimethylsulfide (CH3-S-CH3) which is often associated with a "small of the ocean")
C. Nitrogen (comes off as N2 gas and ammonia, NH3)
D. Potassium winner!
E. Oxygen (comes off as water, H2O)
F. Iodine (comes off in organic forms, such as CH3I; the ocean loses hundreds of millions of kg each year as CH3I)
G. Bromine (comes off in organic forms such as CH3Br, which is made by algae)
H. Carbon (comes off as CO2 and organics; almost any smell above a reef tank contains carbon)

Happy Reefing. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back