Reef roids

Drich5150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to start feeding my zoas this. Is it any good and what was your experience with it. Do you target feed or dose it?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Going to start feeding my zoas this. Is it any good and what was your experience with it. Do you target feed or dose it?
I suspend feed but you can also target feed with turkey baster or similar. Be careful with feeding roids as too much can elevate nitrates

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spot feed a mix of Reef-Roids and Reef Chile with a bulb feeder 2 times per week. I notice more of a bump in Phosphate then I do Nitrate, but nothing horrible.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've raised several zoa/paly garden tanks and pretty convinced what works and doesn't.

Reef Roids, reef chili and similiar products do work, but only on larger palys. My gobstopper and sunny d colonies love the stuff when target fed and there is a definite improvement in growth. They also respond to baby brine shrimp. However, smaller zoas close up in irritation and I've not noticed any growth change.

Personally I think you're wasting your time with smaller zoas. They do best with a bit of stable nitrate and no nuisance algae. Purple deaths and nuclear greens are carnivorous and want bigger prey.

Roids will spike your phosphate.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've raised several zoa/paly garden tanks and pretty convinced what works and doesn't.

Reef Roids, reef chili and similiar products do work, but only on larger palys. My gobstopper and sunny d colonies love the stuff when target fed and there is a definite improvement in growth. They also respond to baby brine shrimp. However, smaller zoas close up in irritation and I've not noticed any growth change.

Personally I think you're wasting your time with smaller zoas. They do best with a bit of stable nitrate and no nuisance algae. Purple deaths and nuclear greens are carnivorous and want bigger prey.

Roids will spike your phosphate.
I have the same experience.

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's easy to blame the food. Millions of people use reef roids routinely. I used it everyday on two tanks for months and never had a single cyano or algae outbreak. Only reason it's not fed everyday is because it's now in rotation with coral frenzy, reef chili and me coral food. If you have problems the solutions are feed less or export more. I have more problems under feeding than over feeding
That being said I don't think it's necessary. larger Palys and SOME zoanthid will wrap around it but I only concern myself with direct feeding to corals that build a stony skeleton. If you have fish, feeding them with good lighting should be sufficient

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started using roids when I started getting corals based on all the hype and like others stated it sent my phosphates high.. switched to benepets and now I’m using coral feast

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix a little bit up with tank water and target feed with a syringe so I can be very precise. The zoas just get a tiny bit and very slowly. Blasting them will just make them close up and not get any. Typically I feed once a week and do my water changes the day after

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on your tank. I have started feeding Reef Roids again weekly in my tanks as both Phosphates and Nitrates are at or close to zero, so I want them to rise. So yes they will raise these compounds but sometimes that’s exactly what you want. In the smaller tank I’ll probably stay with weekly or back off, in the larger (and newer) tank I’ll likely continue and increase feeding. It will all be based on what my water tests tell me.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetid snail food... lol

This stuff keeps LPS and Zoas happy but man oh man I can't use it if I ever want to lower my vermetid snail population.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding corals is very species specific, what one species likes another doesn't. And there may be a "goldilocks" response for a coral that does benefit from feeding where too littel or too much may not be beneficial. So my question is how have you or how will determined your zoas will benefit and there won't be a negative effect on the other corals in your tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back