OP
U

ulferik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fixing the problem depends on what the problem is.

Here's my general recommendation for precipitation issues:

1. Stop all efforts to boost pH.
2. Stop dosing alk for a bit and let it decline.
3. Reduce pH by switching to a low pH alk mix like sodium bicarbonate, or a calcium organic such as Tropic Marin All for Reef.
4. Ensure magnesium is normal to high.
5. Keep organics and phosphate on the high side.

After a few days of not dosing alk, restart slowly, adding additives to a very high flow area so it mixes in fast.
so if this is going too be over the next few days of not dosing, do we know when too start dosing again? does it has to be a few day or is 24H enough?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it cannot reach harmfull low levels of kh just by stopping the dosers? we will try this and i do understand at some point the demand has too drop aswell.

I would not say it cannot, but usually it doesn’t. If it does drop below about 6.4 dKH, you could use some baking soda to keep it there.

Ishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiously I've seen on the proper Reef Zlements forum that you are actually suggesting the solution for a problem which they already identified early morning today and provided instructions on how to fix it, so likely you are not the only one who understands chemistry!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curiously I've seen on the proper Reef Zlements forum that you are actually suggesting the solution for a problem which they already identified early morning today and provided instructions on how to fix it, so likely you are not the only one who understands chemistry!

lol

Not sure why you are so focussed on trying to prove they know what they are doing. They very well may, but you might ask them what their claim of 72,000 ppm of calcium per liter means. lol

I’m certain they do not have a better understanding of the issues in this thread than we do.

if the directions they posted look similar to what I posted, I expect they may have learned it from me in one of the hundreds of times I have posted it in the last few decades.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if this is going too be over the next few days of not dosing, do we know when too start dosing again? does it has to be a few day or is 24H enough?

No. It depends on many factors, and sometimes it takes a second try for longer.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very familiar to me.. he should check precipitation on return pump and powerheads. These are the main places where you can spot it. Dilution does not help much, he needs to lower ph of solution..

David Ladds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, you are kind of assuming and making statements that RZ don't know what they are doing, I am not questioning your knowledge, I wouldn't stoop that low, but it has to be said you are kind of taking a bit of a know it all attitude, without actually speaking to RZ themselves

I dont think at any point you asked what their dosing schedule is? I think you would be interested to see it.. I have as it was posted in the RZ support group, and it has already been stated in this thread that precipitation has been identified

I have been using RZ since they started in 2020, here is my tank and I don't think its doing too bad for a product made by a company you imply don't know what they are doing

FB_IMG_1703288535809.jpg

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm, you are kind of assuming and making statements that RZ don't know what they are doing, I am not questioning your knowledge, I wouldn't stoop that low, but it has to be said you are kind of taking a bit of a know it all attitude, without actually speaking to RZ themselves

I dont think at any point you asked what their dosing schedule is? I think you would be interested to see it.. I have as it was posted in the RZ support group, and it has already been stated in this thread that precipitation has been identified

I have been using RZ since they started in 2020, here is my tank and I don't think its doing too bad for a product made by a company you imply don't know what they are doing

FB_IMG_1703288535809.jpg

This whole discussion is ridiculous, and I find your comments strange. I never once said it was a bad product. You users keep repeating that as if I did.

my point was that folks should not come to my expert form and tell folks to go elsewhere for advice when I am perfectly able to give scientifically sound advice.

I do not know who runs Facebook for ReefZements, and never said their answers are or would be wrong.

I cautioned folks that manufacturers often give poor and biased advice, I posted one comment from the ReefZemements web site that is, IMO, biased and poor advice that is at best misleading. I also noted some things they posted that are not scientifically sound. Doesn’t mean your tank is not great, but it is a caution about their chemical understanding.

I know my answers to the questions here are correct. This is not some complex issue with diverse viewpoints.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You believe their problem relates to their dosing schedule? The op said the dosed were spaced out with a min of 15 minute gap.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any update on how things are going?

OP
OP
U

ulferik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on how things are going?
Hi, thanks for following up. Looks like a classic precipitation issue. Stopped dosing for a few days. He has started dosing again now with a whole different volume of the 2part. Things are looking better, might be loosing some of the sps but not sure yet. Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, thanks for following up. Looks like a classic precipitation issue. Stopped dosing for a few days. He has started dosing again now with a whole different volume of the 2part. Things are looking better, might be loosing some of the sps but not sure yet. Thank you
OK, hopefully things will be OK. :)

High pH is the biggest driver of precipitation. A rise of 0.3 pH units is the same with regards to precipitation potential as a doubling of alk or calcium.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to amaze. :)
I have read earlier Randy's recommendations (pre-dating Z Elements) - how to deal with upset ionic balance (that was a few months ago - when I had similar issues and I was unable to stop DKH from dropping). Those were really helpful.

I can confirm that Randy posted those recommendations long before others on the referred forum learnt how to keep a gold fish alive (and well before Z-elements was even conceived)...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back