Reefcowboy’s 150 gal SPS System

mindwalkr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider cutting vent holes in the electronics boxes to vent to the back of the tank. Some at the top and some at the bottom. That way heat from the electronics can be vented out the back using natural convection.

mazzdaq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up looks awesome Carlos! Where on LI are you? I'm from Suffolk County (Bohemia). I'm in the process of setting up a Red Sea Reefer 525xl with all the plumbing in my basement. Right now my basement looks like an aquarium candy store with all the equipment just waiting to be set up.

usernam invalid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great start following along. Where on the island are you?
Fellow stick addict here in West Islip
-jay

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Carlos and I live on Long Island, NY. I moved here from NYC last December and finally have had time to set up my tank. I have planned this build for a few years, and seeing it now come together has been very rewarding.

I have been reefing for many years and although I like anything tank related, sps are my main passion in the hobby. Not saying Im not also crazy for nice colored lps and softies!
Here are pics of my two previous tanks.

6AFC61A0-589C-427F-A672-1098851F111A.jpeg

8E49C4BE-2845-452D-ACA4-76A6DB936D7F.jpeg

AMAZING build!!!! Following along for sure.

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too bad he's retired. that sump is amazing and the built in scubber, is pure genius. Can I ask where you purchased the led lights for it? this is one of the best builds I've ever seen. Good luck, I'll be following.
I ordered my tank from reef savvy, but I could never do it like you did. congrats...

Thank you, Reef Savy! Sweet tank!!
The leds for the scrubber are from Expressions LTD
These are made for scrubbers and I lucked out as they were the exact length of my scrubber screen. Good luck on your build

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to consider cutting vent holes in the electronics boxes to vent to the back of the tank. Some at the top and some at the bottom. That way heat from the electronics can be vented out the back using natural convection.
I thought of ventilation when thinking of the boxes, the back of the stand where I drilled to pass the wiring to the acrylic boards is large enough to allow air in. The acrylic boards also have many holes and are off the back wall of the stand by 1”. Heat wont be trapped.

The front clear acrylic covers are air sealed to keep the electronics from moisture directly inside the stand.

The stand fan hopefully will also help keep fresh air in there.

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set up looks awesome Carlos! Where on LI are you? I'm from Suffolk County (Bohemia). I'm in the process of setting up a Red Sea Reefer 525xl with all the plumbing in my basement. Right now my basement looks like an aquarium candy store with all the equipment just waiting to be set up.
Thank you. I really like the Reefer tanks, Im at Hauppauge. Set up a tank thread when you get it all together so we can see your progress!

Nht

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m blown away by what you’ve done under the tank and sure what you do above will be equally impressive!!!

I really like the idea of the fan you have to vent out air. Where did you get it from?

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’m blown away by what you’ve done under the tank and sure what you do above will be equally impressive!!!

I really like the idea of the fan you have to vent out air. Where did you get it from?
Thank you. Got the fan at Best Buy. Corsair 140mm Mag Levitation.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super impressive high end build, makes you realize some filtration set ups are similar to small water treatment plants.

I also really dig your previous two tanks, do you have build threads for thoses?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefcowboy , nice tank mate - I have the same one with the 20'' Synergy external over flow box and and going to be running 3 1.5inch drains all the way down to my sump that Elite Aquatics is building me.
I will be floating my canopy along with my Aqua Illumination Hydra HD LED''s. I was wondering what size is that stand do you have in lenght? ! I got my stand from SCA and its super nice 60'' in lenght but I would love to have the door on the side that opens like you have. Instead of all Apex gear I will be running all GHL gear, there new P4, 2.1 doser and there MaxiSA for my AWC's.

My SCA Rimless 150
Custom rimless SCA 150.jpg

My Elite Aquatics sump will look similar to this RS40 incl 3 1.5'' Drains .
rs-40.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super impressive high end build, makes you realize some filtration set ups are similar to small water treatment plants.

I also really dig your previous two tanks, do you have build threads for thoses?
Thank you, unfortunately I dont have threadsmfor my previous tanks..decided this time though wanted to documment every step of the way ;)

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Reefcowboy , nice tank mate - I have the same one with the 20'' Synergy external over flow box and and going to be running 3 1.5inch drains all the way down to my sump that Elite Aquatics is building me.
I will be floating my canopy along with my Aqua Illumination Hydra HD LED''s. I was wondering what size is that stand do you have in lenght? ! I got my stand from SCA and its super nice 60'' in lenght but I would love to have the door on the side that opens like you have. Instead of all Apex gear I will be running all GHL gear, there new P4, 2.1 doser and there MaxiSA for my AWC's.

My SCA Rimless 150
Custom rimless SCA 150.jpg

My Elite Aquatics sump will look similar to this RS40 incl 3 1.5'' Drains .
rs-40.jpeg
Very sweet set up you got going on! GHL gear is super sharp, im sure it will looks awesome with your color scheme sump. My stand is 64”, the side doors are a must on my tank as I designed the 3 part container facing the outside for easy filling of the liquids.

I also run 1.5” drains, much safer instead of the common 1”.
Good luch setting this baby up! Make a thread please

OP
OP
Reefcowboy

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you power the fan? I am looking at one for a build I am starting this weekend.
I went to a PC supply store and got an outlet adapter with a sodering kit....lol it came out great. I got one with a voltage switch so I can set whatever fan speed I like.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back