Reefkeeping - Pro Tips

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you look at your tank and think " Wow, everything looks great." Test the water. Not just when things go wrong. You will learn a ton about your tank and water chemistry
I think that one is huge... knowing what good looks like

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go along with patience and stability, I suggest research. Try to limit impulse buys, because lives are literally in your hands. Design your tank around the livestock you want to keep. Don’t just “hope for the best” after a purchase, set yourself up for success ahead of time.

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one is huge... knowing what good looks like
TBH, it was something that took me many years to get into a habit of. It is not really the reaction we have when things are going well. It is worth getting in the habit though. I have learned a ton from this practice

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To go along with patience and stability, I suggest research. Try to limit impulse buys, because lives are literally in your hands. Design your tank around the livestock you want to keep. Don’t just “hope for the best” after a purchase, set yourself up for success ahead of time.
I deal with this a lot in the service business. People want "one more fish or coral" and it can be very disruptive to the system. Possibility of introducing disease, aggression or just increased bioload. Exercising "retail therapy " in this hobby is risky.

smitten with ocean life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LFS stands for lying fibbing swindler

The purpose of keeping fish and corals is so that you can have unidentified snails and worms.

90% of reef keeping equipment is entirely unnecessary

If you dont want live rock fo or fw is a better option than reef keeping.

An established and stable reef is going to have the biological diversity of your large intestine and you arent going to find that in a bottle.
i have to disagree . there might be some like that, but a lot are great people! maybe, unfortunately, uninformed. but not out to swindle you!

IntrinsicReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what never ending problem you are dealing with, the very established beautiful reef aquariums you see went through it and it passed, so will yours.
Exactly! Not to be too pithy, but a reef aquarium is a journey, not a destination.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! Not to be too pithy, but a reef aquarium is a journey, not a destination.
Agreed, we have all been there as a new reefer and something goes wrong. We feel like we are the only ones going through and just want the beautiful tank that we see posted. Your right, every set back is something to overcome and is actually a step forward.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back