inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_DSC3672.jpg

Looking in from the edge of my tank. It actually looks full of coral from this angle, almost haha

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals all seem to be doing great and growing very well. The green colony on the left is a bit larger than a baseball now. Starting to fill in!

Still managing to get by on Kalkwasser in my topoff, though I'm up to 3 tablespoons in the 5 gallons of water. That lasts about two days. I'll probably need a proper reactor soon.

My bluespotted angelfish eats the tips off the green acro on the right sometimes. I find bites taken out of it. I don't think it is causing any lasting damage though.

full tank april 2019.jpg

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time taking some shots of the tank today. Will be including them in a system status video tomorrow, but had to share the images here as well. I really like the detail that you can capture with a macro lens in the tissues of our corals. You never notice these details until you see them under magnification.

Blue & Green Montipora crop.jpg

Green Acro crop.jpg

I'm not even sure what this last one is, other than an acropora of some sort. It has huge polyps, but not in the way that a millipora does.

Highlighter Acro crop.jpg

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My monti caps are finally starting to make their nice scrolling shelves of coral that they're known for. It's too bad this one is so drab - it has such potential but the green trends more towards brown than green. The grafted red is nice though.

Scrolling Monti Cap.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really love those Montipora macro shots.

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is starting to really crank through the Calcium and Alkalinity. I need to find a Calcium Reactor - I'm thinking about the DaStaCo but I keep seeing that it can depress pH even more than a normal reactor.

I am planning on running the output through my PaxBellum - but I'm not sure they sell the algea reactor attachment on it's own. I hope they do!

Also, anyone know why the DaStaCo are about $500 more expensive here in the US vs in Europe?

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took care of some huge Aiptasia anemones in the tank this weekend. I never knew they could grow that big, but I found some at least an inch or two in size towards the back corner of my tank where I can't see from the front. My tank is 3 feet front to back, which is great for the fish, but it makes it hard to reach the back left corner since it's also in a corner in the room. These were hiding there..

I made a video about the control methods I could find, so I'll link it here as well.

1. Scrub them off the rock - not a great idea
2. Scrub them off the rock, then treat with super glue or kalk paste
3. Inject them with kalk or hydrogen peroxide - this is what I ended up using since I had some old syringes from the vet in my junk drawer
4. Bio controls - I did call around Los Angeles but I couldn't find a shop with Bhergia nudibranches. I would like a copperband butterfly, but I think it'd probably also eat my gorgonian, so not sure there. My blue spotted angelfish would almost certainly eat peppermint shrimp, though I do like shrimp in tanks so I might try one and see.
5. Friggin lasers. I don't even want to risk this one..

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm working on a video about green fluorescence, so had to take a few photos. I really like the detail you get with macro lenses on acropora flesh.

This is with a 90mm macro lens and an extension tube taken through an acrylic tube housing.

green acro close.jpg

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Zoanthus that are slowly spreading over their rock.

Coral-July-639.jpg

This acro frag hasn't done much, but it has started to grow a little bit. It spent a few months encrusting, now it's starting to grow up (finally!)

Coral-July-640.jpg

The montipora are still doing great!

Coral-July-641.jpg

OP
OP
inktomi

inktomi

ReefMan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more photos from today in the tank. Enjoy!

This first Acropora is a nice shelving species, it has nice light blue growth edges and bright green coralites on the inside of it's shelve.

ReefMan-Coral-858.jpg

Another two of my acropora are starting to meet - I'm curious to see who will win out, or if they'll just sort of grow together.

ReefMan-Coral-859.jpg

My "strawberry shortcake" acro has been slowly growing. It's getting some shadow from some rock above but it's doing a good job of growing out away from the rock to where there is more light. An interesting, if not slow growing, coral to observe.

ReefMan-Coral-860.jpg

My plating montipora are doing well - this is another case where I'm curious what will happen. If the top one covers too much of the one below my plan is to cut it away - the one that's getting covered is prettier ;Happy

ReefMan-Coral-861.jpg

This one is my fastest growing acro - the colony is maybe the size of two adult fists together now and it is showing no signs of slowing down. This is also the coral that my blue spotted angelfish likes to nibble on..

ReefMan-Coral-862.jpg

An update from the last post showing this entire acropora frag.
ReefMan-Coral-863.jpg

I tried my best to get this to edit to show the actual colors. This coral is super hard to photograph - it has blue/purple tips and dark blue polyps with a light green background flesh.
ReefMan-Coral-864.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more photos from today in the tank. Enjoy!

This first Acropora is a nice shelving species, it has nice light blue growth edges and bright green coralites on the inside of it's shelve.

ReefMan-Coral-858.jpg

Another two of my acropora are starting to meet - I'm curious to see who will win out, or if they'll just sort of grow together.

ReefMan-Coral-859.jpg

My "strawberry shortcake" acro has been slowly growing. It's getting some shadow from some rock above but it's doing a good job of growing out away from the rock to where there is more light. An interesting, if not slow growing, coral to observe.

ReefMan-Coral-860.jpg

My plating montipora are doing well - this is another case where I'm curious what will happen. If the top one covers too much of the one below my plan is to cut it away - the one that's getting covered is prettier ;Happy

ReefMan-Coral-861.jpg

This one is my fastest growing acro - the colony is maybe the size of two adult fists together now and it is showing no signs of slowing down. This is also the coral that my blue spotted angelfish likes to nibble on..

ReefMan-Coral-862.jpg

An update from the last post showing this entire acropora frag.
ReefMan-Coral-863.jpg

I tried my best to get this to edit to show the actual colors. This coral is super hard to photograph - it has blue/purple tips and dark blue polyps with a light green background flesh.
ReefMan-Coral-864.jpg
Awesome images!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 68 46.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back