Refugem dying off

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a used 100 Gal tank. We moved the tank 2 weeks ago, and the Refuge is not growing. I have minimal Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate is 0.2 PPM. I noticed that there was a growth on the refuge, it looked like hair algae. I added a 300 GPH circulation pump in the refuge sump because it sank to the bottom and did not move. There is a light on the refuge for 18hpd.

Is this loos of refuge just due to low nitrate levels?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you trying to grow? Chaeto? What kind of light are you using? Chaeto does need Nitrate and phosphates to grow.

Also you mentioned you have some ammonia and nitrite??

OP
OP
Edmunds Reef

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Refugume in Chaeto, I have a dedicated light. I don't know the type. It runs 18 hrs opposite of the tank lights. Ammonia and nitrate are basically a trace. Not large enough to read, but you can see a slight color change.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a used 100 Gal tank. We moved the tank 2 weeks ago, and the Refuge is not growing. I have minimal Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate is 0.2 PPM. I noticed that there was a growth on the refuge, it looked like hair algae. I added a 300 GPH circulation pump in the refuge sump because it sank to the bottom and did not move. There is a light on the refuge for 18hpd.

Is this loos of refuge just due to low nitrate levels?
was the used tank a running system or did you just buy an empty used tank?

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce the refug lighting time by half. It sounds like there are not enough nutrients to support growth at 18 hours a day. Monitor your nitrate and phosphate levels. When they start increasing then start extending the lighting duration to compensate.

OP
OP
Edmunds Reef

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to update. I changed time to 8 HR at night. Slowed Protein skimmer from F9 to F4. Nitrites are starting to elevate.

I also changed my lights from 4 season to bright color. The Button Mushrooms are regaining there color, and The Refuge is turning Greener.

OP
OP
Edmunds Reef

Edmunds Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an update. I noticed that the Refugium was growing and getting greener, than it stopped. Started looking and noticed pieces in the filter to the main circulation pump.

I covered the power head in the sump with rubble. Will have to see if this keeps the power head from grinding up the Refugium.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back