refugium

Lou Lou B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when is a good time to start micro algae in refugium? My tank has been cycled since july and no corals yet but plan too later. My nitrates are about 8-10. Thanks in advance:)

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any livestock in your tank yet? :) A refugium is a great way of keeping nutrient export in check- it can be a very, very effective filter actually!

Without sufficient nutrition going in the system, the refugium will starve and whatever algae you are promoting in there will not thrive and ultimately die.

I did set up my refugium just after finishing my cycle which was probably not the best time to do it. I did make sure to feed it plenty though and I did introduce a fairly high bio-load to my tank quite fast.

Today a year down the road, I have no socks, no roller and no other mechanical filtration. I do have a large, well lit refugium taking care of all my nutrient export together with a protein skimmer.

OP
OP
Lou Lou B

Lou Lou B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any livestock in your tank yet? :) A refugium is a great way of keeping nutrient export in check- it can be a very, very effective filter actually!

Without sufficient nutrition going in the system, the refugium will starve and whatever algae you are promoting in there will not thrive and ultimately die.

I did set up my refugium just after finishing my cycle which was probably not the best time to do it. I did make sure to feed it plenty though and I did introduce a fairly high bio-load to my tank quite fast.

Today a year down the road, I have no socks, no roller and no other mechanical filtration. I do have a large, well lit refugium taking care of all my nutrient export together with a protein skimmer.

i have three fish. One dartfish and two clown fish . i have 4 hermit crabs and four snails. tommorrow im picking up a tailspot blenny and pearly jawfish

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have three fish. One dartfish and two clown fish . i have 4 hermit crabs and four snails. tommorrow im picking up a tailspot blenny and pearly jawfish
I would wait and set it up once you need it! :) It is a good time to start planning out what you want to do though; there's nothing wrong with that!

What tank do you have? :) How does your sump look like? It does not have to be a big refugium depending on how you light it.

OP
OP
Lou Lou B

Lou Lou B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait and set it up once you need it! :) It is a good time to start planning out what you want to do though; there's nothing wrong with that!

What tank do you have? :) How does your sump look like? It does not have to be a big refugium depending on how you light it.
my refugium is diy . 110 fluval hob filter with marinepure spheres and sand and refug light. my tank is a 60 gallon aqueon cube.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good HOB skimmer....that will help more than the HOB Fluval Refugium. I have several good HOG skimmers for sale....(not trying to hijack the thread)...or get a large HOB refugium (like the CPR's)

OP
OP
Lou Lou B

Lou Lou B

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a good HOB skimmer....that will help more than the HOB Fluval Refugium. I have several good HOG skimmers for sale....(not trying to hijack the thread)...or get a large HOB refugium (like the CPR's)
yeah im evetually going to invest in one of those two

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah im evetually going to invest in one of those two
The two will go well together no doubt :) But don't forget about the fuge, it adds much more value than just nutrient control and export!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back