Regular t5 fixture conversion make wooden hood and install mechanically and add a water barrier to the conductors? 25$ for 4 pieces even a piece Wow??

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’m new to reefs and corals what wattage does the reef bulbs run at??? If these are up to code electrically if diy sealed in a hood allowing enough space for heat displacement and all that? Anyone go this route? Anyone want to if others say it’s comparable electrically? Here’s what I found maybe someone can use them? I already ordered lamps or I might give it ago but I figured someone else might be looking... see pics for details... no rush figured I’d post just in. Case some one is stuck and in need... if I’m wrong and they are useless my bad too... just tryn to be helpful

526967E0-DA70-4287-8A2F-CEBAE9AB3575.png 69F7B38C-FCAE-48CA-8F39-1179D20EC01C.png 491E7AA3-3D06-4C74-A29D-8250437C4755.png

OP
OP
bigkamp

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a solar electrician and I hang these type of lights for parking structures and stuff to code they are rated for damp locations so if they are in a tall hood and u put something like thing glass to stop the evap from getting in would be a good idea or something to keep the upward moving water away... rain falls down not up so that would be the only issue I see if not addressed... other then electrically strong enough I have no clue what reef bulbs are rated at never looked cause I went led...

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look on the store website to double check but I think T5 is a standard wattage. So if the fixture is intended for say 48” bulbs, then any T5 bulb would work in it just fine.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ballast shows that it is for T5HO, so yes, the ballast should be just fine. The fixtures may be ok but I'd be concerned about the endcaps getting damp. You might consider replacing them with waterproof endcaps.

Way back in the day I made quite a few T12VHO fixtures using vinyl rain gutter, waterproof endcaps, and Icecap 660 ballasts. The LFS I worked at PT sold them to people looking to get in to the corals game at a more reasonable price. I still have a set that I made for my 60 cube that used 4 x 24" T12 VHO. It is at least 25 years old and, at least until I upgraded the tank and lighting, going strong.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back