Relation between high Alk and SPS Colours

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I would like to know if there is anyone here running a high Alk system (11-12 dKH) and not noticing "weird" colours on their SPS Colours?
From what I've searched there is no scientific proof that there is a relation between both. I'm running a 11 dKH reef, and noticed some "reds" turning into something like purpule or brown with a green tint..., for example my walt disney Acro now has green tips..

Thank you!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of anyone claiming specific color changes with alkalinity . Growth rate certainly changes, however, and that may impact a number of things (including burnt tips if nutrients are too low).

OP
OP
J

jcosta98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of anyone claiming specific color changes with alkalinity . Growth rate certainly changes, however, and that may impact a number of things (including burnt tips if nutrients are too low).
Yes the growth I noticed a lot, the corals grow very fast, got no burnt tips because I keep No3 around 2 and PO4 around 0.046 , also running Ca and Mg high... or maybe my corals just changed colour :D here is an example of what I'm talking about .

When Introduced to the tank ( looks red/redish ) :
IMG_6555.JPG

5 Months after ( changed into kind of brown with green on polyps):
IMG_6791.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back