OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might give you some ideas. It was a Nano project I did with a Surge filter. Water was pumped up to the filter, went through the chambers and entered two chambers that used a Bell siphon in each. Each chamber was filled with Bio Balls. As each chamber filled up the Bell siphon would drain the chamber in a matter of seconds, dumping water into the tank with a surge. Because the rapid action of the filling and emptying of the chambers the Bio balls stayed clean and the air exchange was at it's optimal value.
IMG_9376.jpeg
IMG_8450.jpeg
IMG_8451.jpeg
IMG_8449.jpeg
@TangerineSpeedo This is really cool. So the blue is the siphon line?

What would activate the siphon on intervals to create the surge?

What's the function of that upside down 3-lined manifold? Are the bottom fittings open?

Lot of questions, never seen this!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TangerineSpeedo This is really cool. So the blue is the siphon line?

What would activate the siphon on intervals to create the surge?

What's the function of that upside down 3-lined manifold? Are the bottom fittings open?

Lot of questions, never seen this!
Yes, the bottom is open. Look up the physics of bell siphon. Basically as the water rises in the chamber it also rises in the tube until it gets to the arch then a siphon starts and empties the chamber. The overflow holes in the top of the chamber were made so I could restrict them so the two chambers would fill at different intervals. In the end I didn’t need to do that though because it became random by default. Both chambers started out with the same double siphon, but you can't see it in the rear chamber because of the bio-balls. Each chamber was about 2ish gallons and that would empty in the bottom tank in about 15 secs. I had one enter the tank at the lower end and another splashing over the rocks at the top of the water line. It was my experiment to make a actual tide pool tank.

OP
OP
coreytrv

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for guidance on plumbing a remote sump into a 500 gallon reef tank that will be filtered via the fish room in the garage, some 30'+ away. All single story, gravity feed not an option.

Filtration is a bead filter, closed loop.

Initially I had planned a sump in the attic, above the DT which would fill by pulling supply off the return manifold at the tank, then gravity draining back into the top.

However, since the attic is unconditioned, and it's pretty tight up there- plus the volume of my DT. Thinking a larger, remote sump would be better.

My stab at this would be to pull supply from the filter, through a ball valve, and behind a motorized ball valve / solenoid.
Use water level sensor that would close the supply valve, if water level got too high (ie overflow).
Would need a way to keep return pump from running dry- do the DC pumps automatically shut off when dry? or maybe a controllable one that would be shut down if high alarm detected?

Looking for any tips! Thanks.

Ok based on a lot of feedback about the difficulty of matching inflow and outflow with (2) pumps, I tweaked the plan.

How about the remote sump in the garage, has a gravity drain, and pumps into the sump above the Display Tank (DT) tank, which also will gravity drain into the DT.

Like a cascading sump.

1713334865901.png

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if you make your Sump 1 with overflows like a DT you are on the right track. No need for chambers it would just be a equalizing tank. You could have different flow rates on different pumps and is long as your overflows can handle the input, you should be alright. I would do a practical test with 3 cheap petco tanks to make sure.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back