Removing mold in fish room safely

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with high humidity in my fish room. I have solved the issue using a dehumidifier. I have a small moldy spot on the wall that I would love to clean. The products I have used outside of my fish room all contain bleach. I am little concerned using it in the fish room due to the vapors.

Is there a safe way to remove the mold?

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a problem with high humidity in my fish room. I have solved the issue using a dehumidifier. I have a small moldy spot on the wall that I would love to clean. The products I have used outside of my fish room all contain bleach. I am little concerned using it in the fish room due to the vapors.

Is there a safe way to remove the mold?
Could you remove the wall(cut out the drywall and replace the drywall )

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach will be fine as long as you don't get any in the water. Vapors I don't think would be a concern.

My washing machine is in the same location as my mixing barrel. I wash my filter socks in heavy bleach(way more then your supposed to add, and I soak them in a bucket of bleach), have never had an issue in 10 plus years.

As said above, the do make splash-less, and odorless bleach if it really concerns you.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would turn off the skimmer to make sure no vapors get sucked into it. I know someone who crashed his tank refinishing his hard wood floors.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try hydrogen peroxide. Besides 3% available at most pharmacys and grocery stores you can find higher strengths online, just be sure to wear gloves with the higher strength H2O2.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been told that borax (the old fashion 20 mule team stuff) mixed to 1 cup per gallon will kill mold. Liberally apply this solution, washing the wall, and within 24 hours mold is dead.

I would then paint that room or section of wall with new paint containing mold inhibitor. You can buy a small bottle at HD or Lowes and they'll add it in the store and mix the paint for you.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach works just make sure it does not get into your aquarium system. At my old house during the winter the cement wall of the basement above the ground level would always have condensation on cold days due to the temperature difference despite well controlled humidity. The first year the system was running some mold started to grow but I quickly cleaned it up with bleach. During the winter I kept a fan running on that spot to keep it dry and never had the issue again.

OP
OP
jjencek

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vinegar also kills it
I also found the same info about vinegar. I used to use vinegar when carbon dosing ... so it is safe around tanks. Here is how to do it:

To safely and effectively clean a small area of mold, do the following:

1. Add full-strength white distilled vinegar to a spray bottle and spray it on the mold.
  2. Let it sit for at least an hour before wiping away mold.
  3. If you need follow-up scrubbing, combine one teaspoon baking soda with two cups of water. Pour it into a spray bottle, shake and spray it onto the mold. Scrub with a brush or scouring pad.
  4. Rinse with warm water, then spray again with the vinegar and let it dry.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back