Reset advice?

authentic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is about 8 years old and over time has grown into a reeflike structure as colonies have died with new colonies growing on top.tank is now full and I'm thinking of a reset,a long time ago I broke down a cube and the detritus that was kicked up killed my few fish in the tank.looking to avoid the pitfalls and get advice from people that have done it.i have a 30 gal frag tank connected to the DT so I have a place to temporarily house the colonies I'd like to keep and sell the ones I dont.all information appreciated

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always liked to call these rip cleans to to t-off the establishment

Because thinking ammonia- controlling bacteria in reefing are weak leads to untruth and dependence on bottle bac salesmen to feel good about reefing

saying that you've ripped into a reef tank really bothers them, the boundary setters

Shows bottle bac salesmen we didn't need them to reef just as don't need an aquabiomics test to manage our bacteria

Force in export manages our bacteria we show, the slicks that remain behind after a deep cleaning to remove dangerous detritus waste in the sandbed are always enough

Revealing the true boundaries of care has benefits to reefing

200 works:

it’s not really a reset, because we don’t have to recycle your tank. The original cycle holds, reef tank surgery to remove deadly detritus is what we did there.

every job, for eight years, is the same set of actions in the same order

some do rip cleans so they can move to new homes with no loss

some do them for dinos battles, to win

some do them for tank upgrades so the transfer won’t kill fish

but the order of ops are all the same for every job that’s key.

the thread shows you how to tap water rinse your sandbed back to total clarity

how to hold fish and corals in totes

how to rasp rocks clean of algae and unwanted attachments

the reassembly steps

there is no testing for any parameter other than temp and salinity

then they do the important light power drop and re acclimation in the new tank, done.
take a couple days to read specific job links we did there

take pics of your tank so we can add those to the example set

the absolute undeniable linking factor in all those jobs is we rinsed the tank substrate so well to produce total cloudlessness, and that aligned all tanks for safety. whether they're moving, upgrading, or getting uninvaded.

we simply took reefs apart, and reassembled them without any detritus. what you can do with a tank during that interim takedown/set back up time are the moves, upgrades and cleanings

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is about 8 years old and over time has grown into a reeflike structure as colonies have died with new colonies growing on top.tank is now full and I'm thinking of a reset,a long time ago I broke down a cube and the detritus that was kicked up killed my few fish in the tank.looking to avoid the pitfalls and get advice from people that have done it.i have a 30 gal frag tank connected to the DT so I have a place to temporarily house the colonies I'd like to keep and sell the ones I dont.all information appreciated

I recently did a reset on my 125 gallon, because of bad chemistry (I was trying to dose elements instead of doing water changes). I made a real mess of things.

My corals weren't dead but they were looking very unhappy! And since the reset (its been 104 days), the tank is much improved in its appearance; corals are very happy.

I would want to separate the tank you are redoing from everything else. Then reconnect it back to the rest of your system.

Following along!

Dom

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post pics authentic let's see the job

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back