Residents Reef ( Week5 ) ( A fundraising build for elderly residents )

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the start of my build thread for my long term residents. I have worked in nursing for 17 years, and since covid entered our lives one of the things that it affected was the entertainment for our residents. The facility cut funding and has taken away a lot of things that enhanced their lives. So I went to them and asked if I could build a reef tank for the residents. They said sure as long as I funded it and took care of it they said that also goes for taking it down if for any reason it becomes an issue or if I leave for any reason. So I Agreed and I am here now Trying to piece something together and it's a lot on my budget. So I also thought I would see if any fellow reefers would be willing to help out. I'm starting them out with a nano reef first. It's a 13.5 Fluval Evo xii marine tank. I bought it off Facebook and got a good deal. I am looking to make some upgrades to it though as we go along I will be posting pics and will write to anyone from my residents. Attached is the picture from the Facebook ad before I got it. I broke it down, cleaned it, and aquascaped it. I will be posting more as we get it up and running. There are some upgrades and tools i could use if anyone is willing and wanting to help out. I created an Amazon list to help with this build. https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3570CDTMQL0U4?ref_=wl_share , If you are so kind as to help out thank you, and if for any reason the tank gets shut down I will give it away here on Reef to Reef.

Thanks in advance,
Your Fellow Reefer NOX

Fluval 13.5 evo xii saltwater tank. (Before Rescue).jpg

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Setup and reformed aquascape been about 2 weeks. also a few cheep corals. In a nasty brown phase though. Not sure how to calm it down goes away when the lights are off but right back within a few hours of it coming back on.

Attachments

• 20240120_135721.jpg
    20240120_135721.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 63
  • 20240119_142157.jpg
    20240119_142157.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20240119_142059.jpg
    20240119_142059.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 20240119_142052.jpg
    20240119_142052.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 54

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be Dino’s. But would need a microscope to confirm (and I’m no good at those ids)

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5 of the Residents Reef a 13.5 Gal Fluval Evo Xii. I Have been building this on a minimum budget and I am worried I have bitten off more than I can chew already. I have been given some corals and got some deals on a couple of corals at a local Frag Show in Lansing MI. They weren't in the best of health and I'm trying to nurse them back to health but not sure a couple of them will make it mainly one of the hammer corals and a possible Goni that is mostly skeleton but it was worth a shot. I don't have the proper testing kits which is not a good thing but I haven't had the money to get them :thinking-face: I should have started with them but they add up. You know what they say Hindsight right? Learning the hard way SMH. Anyway, I've been battling a hair-algae outbreak. I have a CUC but they're not doing much about it. it consists of 10 snails, 3 hermit crabs, an emerald crab, and a peppermint shrimp. I have been doing weekly water changes, not sure what more I can do to battle this hair algae problem with the budget which is nil at the moment. Any suggestions other than what I am doing so far or maybe what I am doing wrong? I am just trying to do something nice for some residents. I think it needs to be upgraded with more flow and lighting and I need better testing supplies. if there are any angels out there who might want to donate to a good cause I have an Amazon list where you could donate things that I'm hoping to get for them. I could really use some testing kits and a powerhead for more flow.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3570CDTMQL0U4?ref_=wl_share.

Here are some pics on how its going so far.

Attachments

• week 5 Mushroom.jpg
    week 5 Mushroom.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 48
  • week 5 Goni Skeleton.jpg
    week 5 Goni Skeleton.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 55
  • week 5 Rock Flower Anenome.jpg
    week 5 Rock Flower Anenome.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Week 5 Unknown encrusting.jpg
    Week 5 Unknown encrusting.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 49
  • week 5 healthy hammer.jpg
    week 5 healthy hammer.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Week 5 Galaxia.jpg
    Week 5 Galaxia.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 51
  • week 5 unknown (2).jpg
    week 5 unknown (2).jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 47
  • week 5 unknown.jpg
    week 5 unknown.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Week 5 Blue lights.jpg
    Week 5 Blue lights.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 57
  • Week 5 White lights.jpg
    Week 5 White lights.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 60
  • Week 5 Blastos.jpg
    Week 5 Blastos.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 60
  • week 5 Irritated closed zoas and Rock Flower..jpg
    week 5 Irritated closed zoas and Rock Flower..jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 57
  • week 5 sick hammer.jpg
    week 5 sick hammer.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 53
  • week 5 sick hammer (2).jpg
    week 5 sick hammer (2).jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 73

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 5 of the Residents Reef a 13.5 Gal Fluval Evo Xii. I Have been building this on a minimum budget and I am worried I have bitten off more than I can chew already. I have been given some corals and got some deals on a couple of corals at a local Frag Show in Lansing MI. They weren't in the best of health and I'm trying to nurse them back to health but not sure a couple of them will make it mainly one of the hammer corals and a possible Goni that is mostly skeleton but it was worth a shot. I don't have the proper testing kits which is not a good thing but I haven't had the money to get them :thinking-face: I should have started with them but they add up. You know what they say Hindsight right? Learning the hard way SMH. Anyway, I've been battling a hair-algae outbreak. I have a CUC but they're not doing much about it. it consists of 10 snails, 3 hermit crabs, an emerald crab, and a peppermint shrimp. I have been doing weekly water changes, not sure what more I can do to battle this hair algae problem with the budget which is nil at the moment. Any suggestions other than what I am doing so far or maybe what I am doing wrong? I am just trying to do something nice for some residents. I think it needs to be upgraded with more flow and lighting and I need better testing supplies. if there are any angels out there who might want to donate to a good cause I have an Amazon list where you could donate things that I'm hoping to get for them. I could really use some testing kits and a powerhead for more flow.

https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3570CDTMQL0U4?ref_=wl_share.

Here are some pics on how its going so far.
Coral is looking great!

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many have asked what I do. I have worked in the nursing field for 20 years, the Last 18 years of that for the same company. I Followed in my family's footsteps my late grandmother was a Caregiver for well over 30 years and didn't retire until she was in her mid-70s. my mother who has M.S. has been a Caregiver and Dietitian and Currently owns her own adult long-term care home. I pride myself in the care I give and do my best to give back to the people I care for. With this build, the best I can do is show the build itself and myself, Unfortunately, due to Hippa laws I am not allowed to disclose info on where I work and the people I care for. So no I can not post pictures of them with the tank. I know that this would be nice for verification but if you are willing to help with the build then you'll need to take me on the honor system. Again anything that is donated will be donated back to the reef2reef community if the tank is taken down for any reason. I know there are many Angels out there, take a moment, look through your closet for unused equipment, or check out my Amazon wish list for this build.

Attachments

• This is me.jpg
    This is me.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 58

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the build going?
It’s a real nice thing your doing!

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How’s the build going?
It’s a real nice thing your doing!
Thanks it's going well and the residents are getting a kick out of it. Althoigh it could use some upgrades. The fluval could use a lighting upgrade and I would like to get some media Chambers for it and it could use a auto top off as I'm there alot but not every day. I'd also like to get a heater controller so that ther can be a back up if anything goes wrong. We have acquired a yellow headed jawfish he's super fun the residents like to play peak a boo with him popping in and out of his burrow. If you or anyone you know of would like to donate to the build I have items on an Amazon list. There's a link in the build thread. And it automatically ships. Thanks for asking about the build again it's been a big project but it's worth it to see them enjoy it.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great to hear I’m glad they are getting some extra enjoyment!
I would love to help, I really find what you are doing quite inspiring!
But sadly I am having major financial woes at the moment, I won’t go into personal details but I’m struggling lol maybe one day when I’m back on my feet I can help.
I have had a look at your list and sadly I have nothing spare that I could contribute either, although do you not have an ato? As I’m sure I know of a simple diy version which could hopefully help out with out any cost

Last edited:
OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there's no pressure to help I just throw the info out there incase there is someone who can. I'd love to hear the diy ato version you have. Whatever it is though has to look clean because it is in a business so I have to make everything look clean. But shoot me your ideas sure. I'm going to post new pics soon of the tank there has been a little growth. I'm worried my green leptos are bleaching out they don't look so healthy. Might need to move them. So keep an eye on the thread over the weekend and I'll post some pics of the tank.

JonsNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh there's no pressure to help I just throw the info out there incase there is someone who can. I'd love to hear the diy ato version you have. Whatever it is though has to look clean because it is in a business so I have to make everything look clean. But shoot me your ideas sure. I'm going to post new pics soon of the tank there has been a little growth. I'm worried my green leptos are bleaching out they don't look so healthy. Might need to move them. So keep an eye on the thread over the weekend and I'll post some pics of the tank.
I know I know I just would like to help if I could have.
Scratch my a.t.o idea as it may not look as clean as I first thought lol it would of involved using waste materials such as an old plastic bottle.

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I know I just would like to help if I could have.
Scratch my a.t.o idea as it may not look as clean as I first thought lol it would of involved using waste materials such as an old plastic bottle.
Yeah I have seen those if it was my own at home system I would have don't that. Thanks for thinking of it though it was a good suggestion.

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week 11 update on the resident's reef tank.. Just got back from a frag show in Ann Arbor this weekend. Got lots of good deals for their tank. New additions include s Maxima Clam, Cabbage Lettuce Coral, Birdsnest, Cyphastria, Dasiy zoas, pink unknown mystery zoa, rasta zoa on mr. freeze lepto, Dunkin and Red mushroom, Feather duster Worm, Green Pavona, GSP, Hairy Lepto, New Firefish, Spooky Lepto, and week 11 pics of the current corals. The last few pics of a creature living under one of my leptos any idea what it is i think its killing the coral.
Tank front week 11.jpg
Tank Back Week 11.jpg
Maxima Clam week 11.jpg
Cabbage lettuce coral week 11.jpg
Birdsnest week 11.jpg
Cyphastria week 11.jpg
Dasiy zoas week 11.jpg
New unknown Zoa week 11.jpg
Zoas with Mr. Freeze Leptoseris.jpg
Dunkin Mushroom week 11.jpg
Red Discosoma coral week 11.jpg
Feather Duster week 11.jpg
Green Cactus Pavona week 11.jpg
GSP week 11.jpg
Hairy lypastria.jpg
New Fire Fish week 11.jpg
Spooky Leptoseris.jpg
Galaxia week 11.jpg
Goni week 11.jpg
Healing Blastos week 11.jpg
War Coral week 11.jpg
weard Creature damaging Lepto.jpg
Weird Creature Damaging lepto2.jpg

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm not at all trying to be critical or at all negative, I actually love what you're trying to do which is similar to something I wanted to do years ago (the only difference is that I was going to do set up a tank for a small school teaching children English as a second language I worked at part time but unfortunately my boss sanded up not approving the idea). I just have some critiques and want to point out a few things nobody has mentioned so far for some reason...First of all, is this your first tank? It sounds as though it is. If so, I strongly feel you're stocking a nano tank far too heavily in such a short time with so many corals (particularly SPS before upgrading the light). The clams in particular (it appears you have two actually require high par and consume magnesium, calcium, and alkalinity in VERY high amounts when healthy and growing. They should always be growing if they're healthy and receiving enough light btw. You also haven't indicated whether you have any test kits yet with so many corals in that very small tank. There are multiple tests which are EXTREMELY important to run on a regular basis if you're keeping a heavily stocked tank. I looked at your Amazon list and just get Salifert test kits. Don't waste money on Hanna kits if you don't have money to waste. There's more I'd like to say but don't want to make this post too long. Again, I'm really trying to give advice here to help in the long run, not criticize you!

Feel free to send me a direct message if you'd like to discuss more. I've kept many nano tanks over the years.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, meant to add one last thing: Never underestimate the power of real ocean live rock. It can work wonders!

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@livinlifeinBKK I'm not offended it is not my first reef tank. Just the first time I'm doing one as a donation. I have bought the salifert kits the wish list is there for upgrades and donations people might want to help with. So far no luck I've purchased alot of upgrades so far such as a spin stream and upgraded pump. A wavemaker. I do need to upgrade the lighting. I have only 1 clam I dose all for reef and feed copapods and phyto to the tank along with coral feast and misis shrimp. So far everything seems to be growing and opening except for the one leptoseris which seems to have something growing under it. I plan on removing it and dipping it later today. I'm hoping it's not a vermented snail. Kinda looks like it to me though. I do test regularly with the new addition of the clam I know I'll need to test more for calcium and mag. Which I don't have those tests yet. I do weekly water changes of at least 20 percent as well to keep thing looking good and I keep the protien skimmer going most the time.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate what you're doing as close family members work in an "activity" role similar.
Definitely slow down! I can't tell if you're doing weekly updates on here, but try. My 15 gallon has been running for about 3 years and I'm just now getting this full with corals!
Keep up with water changes until you can get a few testing kits, based on your amazon list, I'd prioritize.
Ammonia test kit, Nitrate test kit, (due to funds, use a saltwater Master API kit, yes they are not the best, but they are a START, then upgrade to the individual) ATO (use a 5 gallon bucket before splurging on an acrylic tank) and obviously light.

OP
OP
noxthedragon1236

noxthedragon1236

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate what you're doing as close family members work in an "activity" role similar.
Definitely slow down! I can't tell if you're doing weekly updates on here, but try. My 15 gallon has been running for about 3 years and I'm just now getting this full with corals!
Keep up with water changes until you can get a few testing kits, based on your amazon list, I'd prioritize.
Ammonia test kit, Nitrate test kit, (due to funds, use a saltwater Master API kit, yes they are not the best, but they are a START, then upgrade to the individual) ATO (use a 5 gallon bucket before splurging on an acrylic tank) and obviously light.
I would love to do like a 5 gallon bucket ato but unfortunately it is in a public area of a business everything has to look sleek and neat or they won't let me do it. If it was my personal tank it would be no problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back