Restocking after most of fish died

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it’s only been a few days since my last fish died and it’ll be a few months before I can begin adding fish again but I need help with how to go about adding back the fish I lost.
Hopefully the remaining fish will survive
A watchman goby, 3 pj cardinals and a 6 line wrasse.
I’d like to put back the fish I lost but not sure in what order and how many at once ?
this is my restocking list:
A pair of clownfish
Royal gramma
Midas blenny
Tailspot blenny
Foxface
Coris
Coral beauty or flame angel
Scott’s wrasse
Naoko wrasse
Mandarin goby (I won’t add until tank and pods are mature and established)
I’m also planning to upgrade to a 175-200 gallon within the next year and I’ll buy a juvenile foxface so his adult size won’t become an issue
I’m also undecided on putting the 6 line back in because of potential territorial and aggression.
Ideally I’ll put the 5 remaining fish back first then I’d like to add the clownfish, gramma and blennies next after quarantining, can they all be added at the same time or should some be added before others ?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really even the regular clowns ? I know the maroons are mean but I’ve never noticed it with other clowns
yeah, its more-so about their home being safe, colormorphs aren't more agressive, but Percula clowns tend to be more agreesive then occelaris but both tend to be mostly fine as long as stuff doesn't get really close to their home

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m planning on occelaris clowns when would I add them then ? Last ?
I’ve just always had clownfish and until now always in nano tanks and they’ve never showed signs of being aggressive or territorial
Now I have a maroon in a 28 gallon cube by himself and he’s seriously mean, and attacks the siphon or anything I put in the tank, lol

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I’m planning on occelaris clowns when would I add them then ? Last ?
I’ve just always had clownfish and until now always in nano tanks and they’ve never showed signs of being aggressive or territorial
Now I have a maroon in a 28 gallon cube by himself and he’s seriously mean, and attacks the siphon or anything I put in the tank, lol
She maybe isnt used to other fish being in her area, maybe get her a undetermined clown. also they are more territorial when they are hosting in a nem

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish were what started the disease problem in my tank so even though I love those little fish, I'm not putting any more back in my tank. Even the most thorough QT process may not prevent them from bring a dormant problem back into your tank and then one stressful event starts the whole chain of death over again.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish were what started the disease problem in my tank so even though I love those little fish, I'm not putting any more back in my tank. Even the most thorough QT process may not prevent them from bring a dormant problem back into your tank and then one stressful event starts the whole chain of death over again.
captive bred clowns very rarely have disease, wild clowns can have brooknela, but besides that are not really more prone to anything more than any other fish, honestly the hardiness of many captive bred stock may make them less prone to stress and by extension disease

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
captive bred clowns very rarely have disease, wild clowns can have brooknela, but besides that are not really more prone to anything more than any other fish, honestly the hardiness of many captive bred stock may make them less prone to stress and by extension disease
I know many people have had success with them but even after an extensive QT they brought it into my tank so I'm not going to take a chance on that misery again. They are beautiful but I'll pass.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know many people have had success with them but even after an extensive QT they brought it into my tank so I'm not going to take a chance on that misery again. They are beautiful but I'll pass.
fair enough, if you try again, QT for 2-4 weeks, and feed medicated food with medicated water in the QT, the disease cannot be "dormant" but the clown will gain resistance and show little to no symptoms meaning that even if QTed the clown can still carry as you said, although this is overboard for a captive bred from a healthy stock it will ensure no disease is present within the clown.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is your current main tank? Why did most of your fish die?
90 gallons and I’m pretty sure two new fish I added without doing a proper quarantine brought in a disease, 3 days after I added them fish began dying, my clowns were the last to die I still don’t know for sure caused most to die

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d like to put back the fish I lost but not sure in what order and how many at once ?

can they all be added at the same time or should some be added before others ?
The first rule of fishkeeping I learned long time ago, when still doing freshwater, is to add 1-2 fish at a time, wait a few weeks, then add 1-2 more, and thats what I've always practiced. If you add more than 2 at a time you risk overloading the biofilter, resulting in fish stress, resulting in death somehow. I've never lost a new fish, never had any disease in any of my tanks.

I know people do things a lot faster these days, but its just my 2 cents. Good luck, it looks like a great fish list.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first rule of fishkeeping I learned long time ago, when still doing freshwater, is to add 1-2 fish at a time, wait a few weeks, then add 1-2 more, and thats what I've always practiced. If you add more than 2 at a time you risk overloading the biofilter, resulting in fish stress, resulting in death somehow. I've never lost a new fish, never had any disease in any of my tanks.

I know people do things a lot faster these days, but its just my 2 cents. Good luck, it looks like a great fish list.
adding fish slowly doesn't mean they don't have disease (thats mainly good QT procedure and supplier) but your point is valid, its roughly 1-2 weeks per fish or three (depending on size, I.E. you can add 3 firefish{dont do that, this is just a scale example} but only one purple tang)

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order all fish from QT venders like Dr Reef or TSM. This way you don't repeat the same issue. Unless you plan to do a proper QT yourself.

I would start with the smaller more laid back fish and end with the angel.

I would personally skip the sixline. Mostly because you have several other wrasse on the list and I don't like dealing with their potential crap that could happen some day.

The coris and sixline will hunt for pods all day long... I mention this since you want a mandarin. My sump has tons of pods but can't find a one in my display because my wrasses spend all day every day looking for them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fair enough, if you try again, QT for 2-4 weeks, and feed medicated food with medicated water in the QT, the disease cannot be "dormant" but the clown will gain resistance and show little to no symptoms meaning that even if QTed the clown can still carry as you said, although this is overboard for a captive bred from a healthy stock it will ensure no disease is present within the clown.
Most certainly some fish can carry disease and be spreaders but show no acute symptoms even after thorough QT. This is what I meant by dormant but I did not phrase it very well. The disease can also remain in your tank dormant for many weeks while it awaits a new host.

OP
OP
Hilltopreef90

Hilltopreef90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would order all fish from QT venders like Dr Reef or TSM. This way you don't repeat the same issue. Unless you plan to do a proper QT yourself.

I would start with the smaller more laid back fish and end with the angel.

I would personally skip the sixline. Mostly because you have several other wrasse on the list and I don't like dealing with their potential crap that could happen some day.

The coris and sixline will hunt for pods all day long... I mention this since you want a mandarin. My sump has tons of pods but can't find a one in my display because my wrasses spend all day every day looking for them.
I do plan to do a proper quarantine when I replace the fish I lost

Back