Reuse or New Sand for tank transfer

JohnathanW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to move a 25 gallon tank to a new 50 gallon tank the sand I have in the 25 gallon is 40 pounds of Arag-Alive Fiji Pink it has been in the tank for about 4 months with no fish just shrimp, snails, hermits and corals I was wondering if it would be safe to reuse the sand or just get new sand

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only 4months with no fish.. say it's safe to use, technically live sand for the new tank to kick-start your cycle.

Will need more sand if you want the same depth of sandbed as you do in your 25g

OP
OP
JohnathanW

JohnathanW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only 4months with no fish.. say it's safe to use, technically live sand for the new tank to kick-start your cycle.

Will need more sand if you want the same depth of sandbed as you do in your 25g
I got 3 new bags of it to use with the 2 that’s already in the 25 gallon I was just wondering if it was still good to use so I didn’t have to buy anymore where the sand isn’t that old

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting ready to move a 25 gallon tank to a new 50 gallon tank the sand I have in the 25 gallon is 40 pounds of Arag-Alive Fiji Pink it has been in the tank for about 4 months with no fish just shrimp, snails, hermits and corals I was wondering if it would be safe to reuse the sand or just get new sand
Personally, I'd re-use. Give it a good swirl, maybe a rinse or two, then transfer over. I've done it multiple times.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I reuse whenever possible unless it’s really nasty, don’t want to throw out all that beneficial bac…
Swish it around several times in a bucket and dumb off the gross residue and your set. Layer the new sand on top of old sand.

RELLIK-REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently did the same. I had a couple pieces of live rock that I also took from our other DT, and our cycling was very fast. I've done this multiple times now and it seems to work great. I leave as much water in the tank in talking the sand from so that I can mix it up then it kind of washed itself on the way out of the tank into the buckets. Also kept a lot of hidden snails and pods this way.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back