Reverse lighting kalkwasser addition

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m debating trying dosing kalk over night to raise ph. Ph really seems to be the big topic right now and am not 100% sure it is a critical as many say… however I do agree higher ph is beneficial to better coral growth.
Here’s my question:
I run a duel chamber CA reactor that runs 24/7 and keeps my alkalinity very stable (8.5). I would like to keep it in that range.
My ph fluctuates between 8.0 to 8.2 daily. I do run a refugium on a reverse lighting schedule from the main display as well as a co2 scrubber to maintain ph at or above 8.0.
I also have a whole house air to air exchanger as well as a second air to air exchange in my fish room to remove as much CO2 in the room. CO2 monitor usually reads about 550 in my fish room which I feel is pretty good.
I’m wondering if I dosed a SLOW drip of kalkwasser during the overnight hours could I maintain a higher ph over the dark hours of the display and still maintain a steady alkalinity reading or would my Alk bounce around from only adding kalk during a 12 hour period?
This would NOT be a total evaporation amount of limewater on a daily basis, rather just a very slow drip to boost ph.
I would be dosing the kalk water through a Kalk stirrer that would be stirring 24/7 even though the dosing would take place during the lower ph times of the night.
Thoughts?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work great! Just gotta dial back the ca reactor a smidge and keep an eye on everything while it adjusts…. I use kalk in my top off and my ph stays high! No scrubbers no open windows and no reverse lighting schedule lol.. just kalk only.

Attachments

• IMG_0151.png
    IMG_0151.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should work great! Just gotta dial back the ca reactor a smidge and keep an eye on everything while it adjusts…. I use kalk in my top off and my ph stays high! No scrubbers no open windows and no reverse lighting schedule lol.. just kalk only.
What size system?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would NOT be a total evaporation amount of limewater on a daily basis, rather just a very slow drip to boost ph.
I would be dosing the kalk water through a Kalk stirrer that would be stirring 24/7 even though the dosing would take place during the lower ph times of the night.
Thoughts?

Seems like a fine plan to me.

Dosing high pH alk additives at night does tend to swing alk while it stabilizes pH.

OP
OP
TLO45

TLO45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a fine plan to me.

Dosing high pH alk additives at night does tend to swing alk while it stabilizes pH.
So do you think it would be better to keep things the way they are or dose kalk nightly and bounce alkalinity numbers some?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%

Back