Revival of the 9 Gallon Nano Cube

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all!
about 4 years ago I had a 9 gal nano cube. I loved the thing, it was full of zoas and had a pair of happy clowns (one of which I still have today).

2 years after I upgraded to 28g JBJ nano. Hated it. Hated the curved front and the distorted look. A year later Upgraded to my 75 gal tank.

Since upgrading to the 28g, my nano cube turned into a planted freshwater tank. I liked it for a while, but I got bored. I found freshwater fish are not as entertaining as saltwater fish.. I don't know, they have less personality? I found I had no passion on it as I do with salties. I missed it as a nano reef. So after months of debating, I've decided to finally break it down. My nieces will get the fish. My shrimps downgraded to the 2.5 gal tank with my betta (I didn't think I had any left until I broke down the tank.. oops). My plants split between my dad and my 2.5 gal tank.

It's presently sitting empty and perfectly clean while I take a break to type this out. It's a lot of work emptying the tank!

It's going to be low-maintence. Simple internal filter with sponge/carbon. Maybe a HOB Skimmer down the line. Maybe will upgrade the filter to an aquaclear to create a fuge out of it.

Now while the tank cycles, I have time to decide what livestock to get. This is where you guys come in for ideas!

I thought long and hard about dwarf ponies, decided against it because of the feeding.
I already have clown and trimma goby, don't want gobies. I've tried but some reason I can't keep pistol shrimp alive. I gave up with that pair.
I also have sexy shrimp in my pico.. don't want any more of those either.

What are some fun and unique ideas for this tank? I am having a bit of trouble because it's a cube, less horizontal swimming room.

please and thank you! Photos coming soon.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt and rock added.. I went to pour salt water in. Stupid me grabbed the wrong bucket and poured in fresh RO/DI water instead. Instead of me pulling the water out, I added salt directly into the tank. probably bad idea, I see tons of pods floating dead now. oops. :(

Mistake made. I should've rechecked the bucket to see which water I grabbed. I am picking out the pods with the net.

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is still clearing. Need more rock still

146AB252-C6A8-4802-AE52-8FBCADB0EB44.jpeg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 13 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 70 47.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back