RImless aquarium support and budget sump ideas

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,
im getting a 115 gallon rimless tank built by a guy I know, would this tank need extra support like bracing or something. I'm building a stand from plywood and putting the tank on a neoprene mat.

Also, has anyone got some ways to save money for sumps or found any really great cheap ones. I don't how the sump looks at all I just need a skimmer and some filter media.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the guy building the tank know the answer? How can a tank be built if you don't know if its being built safely?

I use a 20 gallon tank as a sump, thats it, so it can cost as little as $40. It fits my skimmer and a few other little gadgets that I want.

If you want the super fancy sump with compartments and trap doors, then will cost several hundred $$$. But they both do the same thing.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For budget sumps get a 20 Long rimmed tank. Ideally during Petco’s half price sale they have every ~3 months. It’ll set you back about $25

For baffles hit up your local glass store (physical, not online as mailing glass costs $$$$$) and get them to cut you rectangular pieces. It’ll be about $10/baffle. Install them using 100% silicone that doesn’t have things like mold retardant in it.

Tip: Test fit your sump equipment **before** you fix the baffles in place.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back