Risk associated with Tank swap

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So currently, I am redoing, and replacing a freshwater tank , and the spot I put it in MATTERS, because when I upgrade my reef tank, which will be in give or take 3 months, (tank order has been postponed, due to well... you know) and If I put my "new" tank in the spot I plan too I need to do an "in place" swap.
My questions is, what is the risk I am running when I move all my livestock from my established reef into a newly setup tank, with as much live rock and such Brought over as I can. I have three fish right now, all eating great, looking great, and very fat. I DO NOT want to mess with them. I also don't want to mess with the hard earned coral growth I have had.

So, what is the risk I am running moving everything into a new tank at once. This is necessary based on space requirements.
*Upgrading from a 60 cube to a 4' 90 gallon.

All help appreciated.

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a sump? Your live rock should take the bio load as long as you don't go crazy and buy a ton of critters. add new fish crabs etc. just do it slowly and let you bio filter adjust to the new load before you add any more.

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a sump? Your live rock should take the bio load as long as you don't go crazy and buy a ton of critters. add new fish crabs etc. just do it slowly and let you bio filter adjust to the new load before you add any more.
Yes, quite large sump. I don't plan on adding any livestock well after the swap. Have you had any experience doing such a thing?

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes I started with a 40 tall then a 55 now i have a 75 . I was able to move my rock but I changed my sand bed when I upgraded each tank because I use a deep sand bed.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped the reef out of a biocube into a reefer 170 without any problems.
the 170 did have an uglies phase at 6-8 weeks, but everything came through fine

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swapped the reef out of a biocube into a reefer 170 without any problems.
the 170 did have an uglies phase at 6-8 weeks, but everything came through fine
So you just drained the tank, plopped everything in and boom healthy tank (don't care about ugly, asking about health). No casualties?

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on moving sand over from the old tank to the new tank? And how much larger is the new tank compared to the old?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down 75 and replaced with a 90. I started at 1700 and finished at 0130. About 5 hours total to take down move and add live stock. Another couple of hours heating and adjusting the new water.

splitting_lanes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you just drained the tank, plopped everything in and boom healthy tank (don't care about ugly, asking about health). No casualties?

1) Moved old tank over to make room for new tank
2) setup new tank, with sand and water
3) Drained some water from new tank
4) drained water from old tank and put into bucket and new tank ( minimize shock of water change)
5) caught fish, put in bucket
6) moved reef into new tank
7) put fish into new tank

no casualties. That was Labor Day weekend last year

christopher.lauwers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
just my 2 cents... When I swapped my red sea 350 to a 525 I did not accurately plan for the water I would need.

So learn for me and make more then you think you will need... :)

tamanning

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Moved old tank over to make room for new tank
2) setup new tank, with sand and water
3) Drained some water from new tank
4) drained water from old tank and put into bucket and new tank ( minimize shock of water change)
5) caught fish, put in bucket
6) moved reef into new tank
7) put fish into new tank

no casualties. That was Labor Day weekend last year
I cant imagine moving a tank with water in it must have been heavy! How did you accomplish that feat?

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tore down 75 and replaced with a 90. I started at 1700 and finished at 0130. About 5 hours total to take down move and add live stock. Another couple of hours heating and adjusting the new water.
Ahhhh, I didn't think of that, I would have to heat the new water. Thanks your experience. No casualties?

OP
OP
If_Only

If_Only

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on moving sand over from the old tank to the new tank? And how much larger is the new tank compared to the old?
New sand, new aquascape, the old LR, will be put in the sump. From a 60 cube to a 90ish gallon. Says in initial post.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhhh, I didn't think of that, I would have to heat the new water. Thanks your experience. No casualties?
Nope. I thought I lost the pistol putting sand back in the tank I found it. I put it in it's own container and released with the ywg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back