RK Hallucinations Not Growing

Reefhabit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Is there a secret to growing this zoa? I got mine about a year ago and it grew about 5 polyps. I ended up fragging it and saved myself one polyp but it's been a single polyp for 6 months now.

novanosis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your parameters?

What lighting and filtration do you have?

Addicted2Coral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These grow in spurts from my experience. I've also noticed solo polyps don't always do the best with hallucinations. For some reason when I had a colony they were growing like weeds. Then again, every tank is different!

Sonnyred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These grow in spurts from my experience. I've also noticed solo polyps don't always do the best with hallucinations. For some reason when I had a colony they were growing like weeds. Then again, every tank is different!

I must agree to the colony vs single theory

titlowda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single polyp on my frag rack and I am pounding it with light. 4" under the water, XR15's at 35%. It popped 2 polyps in less than a month. Not sure if it will help you but high light helped me on this and a few other zoas.

Sonnyred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single polyp on my frag rack and I am pounding it with light. 4" under the water, XR15's at 35%. It popped 2 polyps in less than a month. Not sure if it will help you but high light helped me on this and a few other zoas.

I’ve always thought zoas like low light low flow. I’m actually going to give this a try. Thanks for the advise

titlowda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me hallucination, space monsters and bowtie blasters are doing great in high light high flow. The last two have doubled in the last month. They did not do well at the bottom of my 20" tank.

titlowda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do some searching on google there are some websites that people have cataloged zoas preferences.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'll also attest to the fact that halls are slow growing (especially as single polyps) and take a long time to start kicking out new babies after the mother colony is fragged. I started with 2p last July. I've fragged 4-5 polyps off 3 different times. Each time the colony took months to start growing again. Its probably back to 12-15p now.

On the other hand you have speckled kraks that grow like weeds or buttkissers where fragging seems to actually fuel growth.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging in general is a destructive process, fragging any coral slows it's growth. Zoas grow at an exponential rate. Each individual zoa may take between 2-8 weeks to grow a single polyp. That means it takes two polyps 2-8 weeks to grow two polyps (one each), which means it takes 16 polpys 2-8 weeks to grow 16 polyps (one each).

The more you have, the more babies you get.

You want a banging colony? Don't ever frag it, ever. Fragging from 5 polyps down to 1 means you just destroyed like 6 months growth, and started over at the beginning.

eamike261

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fragging in general is a destructive process, fragging any coral slows it's growth. Zoas grow at an exponential rate. Each individual zoa may take between 2-8 weeks to grow a single polyp. That means it takes two polyps 2-8 weeks to grow two polyps (one each), which means it takes 16 polpys 2-8 weeks to grow 16 polyps (one each).

The more you have, the more babies you get.

You want a banging colony? Don't ever frag it, ever. Fragging from 5 polyps down to 1 means you just destroyed like 6 months growth, and started over at the beginning.

Does the polynomial growth continue once the colony gets big enough to encompass heads in the middle? i.e. if there is no room in the middle of colony for a new head to grow will a new will still sprout and push the rest outwards?

NemHost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the polynomial growth continue once the colony gets big enough to encompass heads in the middle? i.e. if there is no room in the middle of colony for a new head to grow will a new will still sprout and push the rest outwards?

They grow peripherally which is why if you have a large colony it’s best to frag from center

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back