RO/DI/Mixing station water transfer to tank

ghermes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use "drinking water safe" garden hose to transfer my RO/DI and salt water from my station in the garage to my aquarium in the house. It's about a 50' run. I'm concerned that the water will be in contact with the metal hose fittings. Will this cause any problems or is there a better hose for this task. I could cut off the metal hose ends and replace with plastic fittings if needed. This is only for initial tank filling and weekly water changes.

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use "drinking water safe" garden hose to transfer my RO/DI and salt water from my station in the garage to my aquarium in the house. It's about a 50' run. I'm concerned that the water will be in contact with the metal hose fittings. Will this cause any problems or is there a better hose for this task. I could cut off the metal hose ends and replace with plastic fittings if needed. This is only for initial tank filling and weekly water changes.
I use a hose that it has stainless steel fittings and haven’t had an issue.
I saw my LFS use them a long time ago and just done the same thing. I also bought a python system with plastic fittings that I use as well. I have 2 separate tanks that I use separate hoses .
Hope this helps

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a section of potable water hose to pump water from a Brute on wheels into the tank. Been doing it this way for a couple of years with no ill effects. If I ever see corrosion on the hose fitting, I'll change it out.

Seadoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a section of potable water hose to pump water from a Brute on wheels into the tank. Been doing it this way for a couple of years with no ill effects. If I ever see corrosion on the hose fitting, I'll change it out.
+1
I have done the same until I bought a dedicated one for the system and replaced the metal fittings.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back