RO/DI water 1000l storage , how long can i keep it

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,
I have acquired a 1000 ltr water storage unit , the one with the cage around it.
I was wondering how long can i keep water in it and do i have to add a pump/air stone?
I was going to buy a ro/di system to try to save money and also for convenience as i have to go weekly to the lfs and pay $5 for 25 ltrs and also cart it back home etc.
If i do have to run a pump in it i may not be saving money as the electricity would factor in.
Thanks
Mark

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HI,
I have acquired a 1000 ltr water storage unit , the one with the cage around it.
I was wondering how long can i keep water in it and do i have to add a pump/air stone?
I was going to buy a ro/di system to try to save money and also for convenience as i have to go weekly to the lfs and pay $5 for 25 ltrs and also cart it back home etc.
If i do have to run a pump in it i may not be saving money as the electricity would factor in.
Thanks
Mark
My water lasts a month before I have to fill it back up again, no issues with that water whatsoever.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some ppl see it as a money saving deal.
In all the years that I ran a RODI I’ve never seen it that way.
Food grade Storage container 250g $300
Smart controlled RODI $350
Yearly cost on filters $150
Yearly Water estimated $100

I just like the convenience that it’s there when I need it.

If you store it at a room temperature area, not too much daylight you can store it for a long time with no pump needed.

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ,
Going into a bit more detail ,
The storage unit was free ,
The RO/DI is $200 ( i dont need a automated one)
Im only using 25 ltrs a week so 1000 ltrs divide 25 is 40 weeks worth.
So would only have to run the RO unit once every 40 weeks.
So for myself im looking at $200 for the RO unit.
In regards to changing the filters i imagine for my situation wouldnt be very often unless ,
do filters go bad if not run for a long time ?
Also the 100 ltr unit would have to be outside so will be in part sun.
Im still not sure if its viable or not.
Thanks mark

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would store the water inside in something smaller. Nobody is going to be able to give you an exact answer, like the water will “go bad” after 28 weeks or something. In theory it’s fine indefinitely, but in a translucent container in part sun, I would expect it to have algae in it within 2 weeks. I would also be concerned about other things from outside getting into the container (bugs, rainwater, dust, fumes/chemicals).

OP
OP
M

mark freshwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok thanks
might hook the 1000l up to collect rain water and use it for the gardens etc as we have to pay $80 a month here for water rates , and keep going to the lfs for RO , problem with going to the lfs is i always go to get $5 water and end up spending heaps more on other stuff haha.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back