Rock curing questions in new setup

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are coming along slow but good here with my 60 gallon ML cube build. Still waiting for the stand to be delivered. I am currently making my RO/DI water to start the curing process of my BRS reef saver rock. I understand this will take 4-6 weeks to ensure any phosphates are removed and allow time for the cycle.

Rubbermaid Container
BRS Reef Saver Rock
RO/DI/saltwater
ViaAqua Titanium Aquarium Heater
Hydor Koralia Nano 425 Aquarium Circulation Pump 425 GPH

I have two questions.

Question #1 - Since I am not curing/seeding my rock in the aquarium, how long can the rock remain out of the water when setting up the new tank? I assume when it is time that I will add the rock, then sand, and then new SW to the tank. But am I working in a time constraint at that point?
Question #2 - Do I have to seed the dry rock with LR? Or can I simply add ammonia through food or table shrimp?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Since it is dry rock and you are only trying to remove the phosphates at this time, I don't think there would be an issue with it staying out of the water for an extended period of time.

2) Can do both --- at least that is what I plan on doing.

OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I just made my first batch of saltwater. Currently reading at 1.026 at 78 degrees. Will let it sit overnight and add my rock tomorrow. Hopefully will pick up a piece of live rock to seed it with sometime this week. Plan to leave it covered and dark for several weeks. Hopefully I am on the right track.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi.
There are several ways to go about it.
None are really all that wrong.

Here is what I did w/ same type of dry rocks.

I wanted to get the phosphates out right away, so i soaked in in rodi; scrubbed well; acid bath ( vinegar or muric will rid of dead organics and phosphates).

Then re-washed again.
I then did my aquascape, mine was a lot of cutting, drilling, rods etc. So it took awhile (2 months).

*leaving cycled rock out of water for a couple hours in a new tank wont hurt anything, keep it moist.

Then cycle in tank or in a tub.

I personally have 0 issues with phosphates leaching as I think the acid bath was key. And worth the wait. (Extra few days).

Leaving dry rock in dark isn't really relevant in my opinion, as that is a great technique for curing live rock with algae / phosphates. Acid works more efficient and faster.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay chefjpaul so if I don't attempt to 'cure' the rock before putting in my tank but only soak to ensure phosphates are removed, can I take the approach of soaking in saltwater (since I have it ready) over the holidays and then do an acid bath for a few days? Honestly my goal of soaking rock isn't so much to seed the rock but really to ensure it is ready to go into the tank and will not cause phosphate problems. I still planned to properly cycle my tank after set up.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay chefjpaul so if I don't attempt to 'cure' the rock before putting in my tank but only soak to ensure phosphates are removed, can I take the approach of soaking in saltwater (since I have it ready) over the holidays and then do an acid bath for a few days? Honestly my goal of soaking rock isn't so much to seed the rock but really to ensure it is ready to go into the tank and will not cause phosphate problems. I still planned to properly cycle my tank after set up.

Yeah,
But acid bath is only a few hours, until the fuzzy bubbles stop. (Do need to use rodi water not salt).

Plenty of videos online about vinegar baths.

I personally would just save your saltwater for your final soaking. Just keep it mixing.

OP
OP
K

kfoerster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay great thanks, will my current saltwater last 2-3 weeks? Should I continue to heat it as well as keep it mixing with the power head?

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah.. don't do what I did. Noob mistake, I ordered my pukani and fiji from brs and just threw it in the tank. No cure no bath no vinegar.... and I had a TERRIBLE time with 160+ nitrates for the longest time. sucked!!!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 58 26.0%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 53 23.8%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back