Rock flower anemone, corals and lighting

eyann666

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Quick introduction, I was (still am) an african cichlids breeder for several fish stores for about 6 years now. I always knew that eventually I would start up a reef tank but never really got the time to. I finally made it last February with a small 13.5 evo.

I am more than obsessed by this tank and the saltwater world in general since then. Long story short, I upgraded this tank right away with a Spectra V2 light, a Sicce .5 pump, a fluval Sea CP1 and a Finnex heater.

Having a modest knowledge about water chemistry, cycling the tank was easy and rather fast with the help of Seachem Stability, a few live rocks and an established bag of Matrix in the chamber. I started introducing a few corals first: a beautiful frogspawn, a nice hammer, 2 small leather and a Green star polyp. A month later, a cleaning crew (emerald crab, branded shrimp, blue legs and a snail) and 2 funny clowns. A month ago, I got a nice rock flower anemone from a friend at the LFS. I put her on the substrate, away from the flow then she could stay still and get used to her new environment.

- 1st question about her: she never moved really, an inch maybe and she stays in a rather dark spot with no flow, is that ok or should I try to move her? She seems happier the night with no light.

- my green star doesnt seem happy, it keeps getting closed, opens up a little then closes again. I placed it in a very subtle indirect flow spot, at the bottom of the tank. Besides the shrimp once in a while, I didn’t notice any aggression. I tried moving it to a different spot about a week ago but it doesn’t seem to work either. What should I do? Wait?

I use sea water from my LFS, do a 5 gal WC a month, parameters are fine (I just dose seachem reef complete once a week essentially for calcium, I dont test magnesium so I hope I’m not overdosing it). My light cycle starts at 7:30am, peaks at 1pm and slowly fades out to 0 at 8pm. Essentially blue and royal blue, no white.
For media, I use matrix, purigen and a bag of nano chemipure blue that I change every 2 months.

thanks to this forum members for the priceless knowledge!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock flower will move if it wants to. I have some on top of rocks close to light, some in dark places, some in direct current and some in no real current at all.

Back