Rocks on the glass or on top of something else?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm a proponent of putting rocks in first and then adding sand. This helps with stability and prevents digging fish and inverts from creating a rock slide. I always place my rockwork directly on the glass. I use a flat piece of base rock and then set the structures on top of it. So each part/leg of my structure rests on the glass or on a flat piece of base rock, and I give it the shift test to be sure it's solid before adding the sand to finish the placement. However, I've heard some people argue for using either egg crate or some other foundational piece (sometimes a starboard is used or something else) as a buffer between rock and glass. The argument is usually that this buffer protects the glass against breakage if the rock falls. I've (thankfully) never actually had a falling rock break my glass, but I suppose it's possible.

What do you guys say? Do you place your rock directly on the glass or use something between rock and glass? What's your reasoning?

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I just place rocks on glass for now maybe in the future if I get a bigger tank with more weight I will look into something that I can place in between

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back