RODI & Booster Mismatch: What can I do?

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just purchased an AquaticLife Smart Buddie Booster pump with plans to use it with my new RODI unit.

However, what I failed to catch is that the RODI unit (BRS Premium) is rated at 150 gpd, and the Booster is rated for 50-100 gallons/day.

I believe it’s possible to convert the production rate for the RODI to match, but is it as simple at downgrading the RO membrane and flow restrictor on the unit?

Also, is replacing/upgrading the booster pump an option?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased an AquaticLife Smart Buddie Booster pump with plans to use it with my new RODI unit.

However, what I failed to catch is that the RODI unit (BRS Premium) is rated at 150 gpd, and the Booster is rated for 50-100 gallons/day.

I believe it’s possible to convert the production rate for the RODI to match, but is it as simple at downgrading the RO membrane and flow restrictor on the unit?

Also, is replacing/upgrading the booster pump an option?
Yes and yes

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes to switching to a lower gpd membrane.. no with the ro buddie you dont use any flow restrictors its got one already

ys im sure you could use a stronger pump, but if your gonna do that you should just diy the whole booster pump setup and flush. IMO.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yes to switching to a lower gpd membrane.. no with the ro buddie you dont use any flow restrictors its got one already

ys im sure you could use a stronger pump, but if your gonna do that you should just diy the whole booster pump setup and flush. IMO.

Thanks.

It seems that the RODI has a flow restrictor on it, does it serve as an unnecessary redundancy to the RO Buddie’s restrictor? Should I leave it on, or remove it?

This is the unit I have.

OP
OP
argiBK

argiBK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have one more question.

The BRS unit has 2x 75 gpd RO membranes. Would these need to be switched out to 2 50 gpd membranes? Or will I be fine running with the booster as is?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 75s thats way easier, no need to buy anything ,just use one membrane.. if you want the higher output and get a second ro buddie

remember to remove the flow restrictor the ro buddie has one in it

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First - don't run two membranes in series unless you have soft, or softened water. Start there.

Russ

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back